Search Blog

From the Vault: Evolution of Fire Fighting Equipment

Old Fire Station #5 at 1220 Denton Street was the last crew in the La Crosse Fire Department that used horses to pull their equipment.
(Originally written by Bill Petersen, retired Archives staff) Fire Station #5, 1925 90 years ago on April 18, 1926, Captain Dan Desmond and his crew of firemen a… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/evolution-of-fire-fighting-equipment/

Frohsinn Singing Society

Through much of the scrutiny and cultural pressure placed on German-Americans in Wisconsin during the First and Second World Wars, the Frohsinn Singing Society, a German-American singing group in La Crosse, met and raised their voices on high.
(written by Hannah L. Weber, Archives intern)   Frohsinn Singing Society, 1907; Nord Stern 50th Anniversary special issue, p. 77 As citizens of La Crosse, Wiscons… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/frohsinn-singing-society/

Growing Community Needed Hogan School

In 1899, East Avenue was the eastern edge for a portion of the city’s development. With the spread of residential development and an increasing population came a need for a new school.
(written by David Kranz, Archives Staff) From its roots along the shore of the Mississippi River, the city of La Crosse expanded westward toward the bluffs, filling in the broa… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/growing-community-needed-hogan-school/

Monkey Business

From the time the Monkey Island was created in 1929 until the city ceased management of the Myrick Park Zoo in 2007, the monkeys were the main attraction and perhaps the thing visitors remembered most.
(written by Barry McKnight, Archives staff) Many longtime La Crosse residents feel nostalgia for the Myrick Park Zoo, in particular the Monkey Island attraction. From the time … https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/monkey-business/

Trane Company's 'House of Weather Magic'

In 1954 the Trane Company's Research and Testing Laboratory was dedicated as the 'House of Weather Magic."
(written by Anita Doering, Archives Staff) The Trane Company began as a humble plumbing and heating shop in 1885 on Pearl Street.  James Trane’s name is often seen on city wate… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/trane-companys-house-of-weather-magic/

Burns Fruit House

John C. Burns opened his wholesale Fruit House in 1883.
(Written by Megan, Archives staff) Wholesale oyster seller in La Crosse? The Burns Fruit House was. John C. Burns opened his wholesale (with limited retail sales at certain … https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/burns-fruit-house/

From the Vault: Early La Crosse Aviation

The first regularly scheduled airmail service to La Crosse started on June 7, 1926.
(Originally written by Bill Petersen, retired Archives staff) With renovations at La Crosse Regional Airport unveiled last week, what better time to share a little bit of La Cros… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/early-la-crosse-aviation/

La Crosse Took to the Ice

For 150 years and more, people of La Crosse have been going outside in winter to ice skate.
(written by David Kranz, Archives staff) For 150 years and more, people of La Crosse have been going outside in winter to ice skate. An 1859 La Crosse newspaper reported that i… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/la-crosse-took-to-the-ice/

Fire!

For a town built by the lumber industry like La Crosse, the threat of fire held a particular terror.
(written by Barry McKnight, Archives staff) For a town built by the lumber industry like La Crosse, the threat of fire held a particular terror. On the morning of April 6, 1886… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/fire/

Dating Vintage Photographs

There are several tips we can share in dating photographs.
(written by Anita Doering, Archives Staff) Let me share some tips with you to help date late 19th century and early 20th century photographs. If you have studio portraits in yo… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/dating-vintage-photographs/

Christ Episcopal Church

On Grandad Bluff is a plaque noting that the first church service in La Crosse was held June 23, 1850, on the bluff, by a traveling Episcopal minister.
(written by Megan, Archives staff) On Grandad Bluff is a plaque noting that the first church service in La Crosse was held June 23, 1850, on the bluff, by a traveling Episcopal… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/christ-episcopal-church/

Syrians in La Crosse

In the last decades of the nineteenth century and the first decade of the twentieth, around 100,000 immigrants from the Ottoman province of Syria (what is now Syria, Lebanon and part of Jordan) came to the United States seeking economic opportunity or fle…
(written by Barry McKnight, Archives staff) With debate about Syrian refugees currently in the news, the Archives department recalls a prior period where Syrian refugees came t… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/syrians-in-la-crosse/

2015 La Crosse History Hunt

The 2015 La Crosse History Hunt, held during Historic Downtown Day on October 10, was a resounding success.
(written by Julia Roden and Calli Niemi, Archives interns) The public history field attempts to bridge the gap between society and the academic world. To cross this gap, publ… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/2015-la-crosse-history-hunt/

Take a 'Walk' on the Dark Side Redux

The Dark La Crosse Tour: Radio Show is back on the Pump House stage for 5 performances, starting October 30.
(written by Anita Taylor Doering and Scott Brouwer, Archives Staff) IF YOU GO WHAT:  Dark La Crosse Tour: The Radio Show WHERE: Pump House Regional Arts Center, 119 King … https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/take-a-walk-on-the-dark-side-redux/

See Dr. Crocker & Latest Book Oct. 12

You can get an introduction to our local houses and buildings from a new book, La Crosse Buildings Through Time, and enjoy a program by its author Oct. 12.
(written by David Kranz, Archives staff) There are good times ahead for area architecture. Why do I say this? Because interest in historical architecture is on the rise in La … https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/see-dr.-crocker-and-latest-book-oct.-12/

The Big Fellow

La Crosse has had its share of colorful characters, but few cast as long of a shadow as Thomas “Big Fellow” McDonough.
 (Written by Barry McKnight, Archives staff) La Crosse has had its share of colorful characters, but few cast as long of a shadow as Thomas “Big Fellow” McDonough. An enormous … https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/the-big-fellow/

Connecting to Film Director Joseph Losey

The original Joseph Losey, after whom the street in La Crosse is named, was not the only Losey family member to make a mark; his grandson was a major film director in the mid-20th century.
(written by David Kranz, Archives staff) People in La Crosse recognize the name Losey – if only because it’s the name of one of our major streets. You can visit the LPL Archive… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/connecting-to-film-director-joseph-losey/

FilmFreaks: Nicholas Ray & Joseph Losey

Two Central High School graduates made it big in the film industry.
(written by Scott Brouwer, Archives Staff) The FilmFreaks program at the La Crosse Public Library is proud to present a film series highlighting two directors with La Crosse ro… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/filmfreaks-nicholas-ray-and-joseph-losey/

A La Crosse Institution - Doerflinger's Department Store

As was common in towns all over the United States, the La Crosse downtown was the retail center of the city and Doerflinger’s department store was a downtown anchor.
(written by Megan, Archives Staff) As was common in towns all over the United States, the La Crosse downtown was the retail center of the city and Doerflinger’s department stor… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/a-la-crosse-institution-doerflingers-department-store/

1935 Crash Leads to New Cass Street Bridge

A single car caused a deadly bridge collapse that cut off land traffic between La Crosse and Minnesota in 1935.
(written by David Kranz, Archives Staff) A single car caused the destruction you see in the above photo, an accident that involved the deaths of two people and cut off lan… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/1935-bridge-accident-leads-to-new-cass-street-bridge/

Archives

2018