Search Blog

See Dr. Crocker & Latest Book Oct. 12

You can get an introduction to our local houses and buildings from a new book, La Crosse Buildings Through Time, and enjoy a program by its author Oct. 12.
(written by David Kranz, Archives staff) There are good times ahead for area architecture. Why do I say this? Because interest in historical architecture is on the rise in La … https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/see-dr.-crocker-and-latest-book-oct.-12/

A La Crosse Institution - Doerflinger's Department Store

As was common in towns all over the United States, the La Crosse downtown was the retail center of the city and Doerflinger’s department store was a downtown anchor.
(written by Megan, Archives Staff) As was common in towns all over the United States, the La Crosse downtown was the retail center of the city and Doerflinger’s department stor… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/a-la-crosse-institution-doerflingers-department-store/

New Old Church in La Crosse

The Catholic Cathedral of St. Joseph the Workman at 6th and Main is the second church to occupy this site, and has a long history.
(written by Megan, Archives staff) Coming west on Main Street, as the road shifts left at 6th street, you are greeted by the Catholic Cathedral of St. Joseph the Workman. This … https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/new-old-church-in-la-crosse/

Fires in Winter

Fighting fires with water in freezing temperatures makes for some very compelling photography.
(written by Scott Brouwer, Archives staff) As winter (hopefully) winds down, I thought it might be interesting to share some of the La Crosse Fire Department photos of fires in… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/fires-in-winter/

Lovely La Crosse Park is Formerly a Public School Site

Weigent Park, the lovely park on Cass Street that enhances the neighborhood with a softball field, tennis courts, playground equipment and green space, was once the site of a public school building.
(written by Megan, Archives Staff) Weigent Park is a lovely park on Cass Street (between 15th and 16th streets) that enhances the neighborhood with a softball field, tennis cou… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/lovely-la-crosse-park-is-formally-a-public-school-site/

Bell From County’s Third Courthouse Stands at 4th and Vine

The bell displayed at the corner of 4th and Vine Streets has a long and interesting history.
(written by David Kranz, Archives staff) An audience member at a performance of the Dark La Crosse Tour: Radio Show asked whether the bell at the corner of 4th and Vine Streets… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/bell-from-countys-third-courthouse-stands-at-4th-and-vine/

Guilty Soldier on the Run

Joe Goins of Company F, 9th Infantry, 2nd Division might have been a great soldier if not for his incredibly short fuse.
(Excerpted from the Dark La Crosse Tour, research by Bill Petersen, text by Michael Scott) 122 S. 5th Ave., just across the street from the Hollywood Theater, was the site of F… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/guilty-soldier-on-the-run/

It's Beginning to Look a lot Like... Christmas Decorations

Greenery and lights have decorated downtown La Crosse during the holiday season for many years.
(written by Megan, Archives staff) Greenery and lights have decorated downtown La Crosse during the holiday season for many years. Decorations on 4th Street in the 1960’s… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/its-beginning-to-look-a-lot-like...-christmas-decorations/

Find Your Place 100+ Years Ago with Sanborn Maps Online

One of the best tools researchers have to help understand city development are maps made by insurance companies in the late 1800s through the mid-1900s.
(written by David Kranz, Archives staff) Sometimes it can be hard to imagine just what a building, street, or neighborhood looked like a century ago. Historic photos are great,… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/find-your-place-100-years-ago-with-sanborn-maps-online/

Stoddard Hotel was a Show Place

Built in the Elizabethan-Corinthian style, The Stoddard was then the only fireproof hotel in the state when it opened in 1904.
(Anita Taylor Doering, Archives Staff, and Carole Mullen, Archives Volunteer) Many “old timers” remember the Stoddard Hotel.  It was built to be THE premier hotel in La Crosse … https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/stoddard-hotel-was-a-show-place/

La Crosse Tribune Buildings Through the Years

The La Crosse Tribune has called four downtown buildings home over the course of its 110 years in operation.
(written by Scott Brouwer, Archives staff) The La Crosse Tribune has called four downtown buildings home over the course of its 110 years in operation.  It began in 1904 on the… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/la-crosse-tribune-buildings-through-the-years/

Footsteps of La Crosse Fall 2014 Walking and Bus Tours

Join the La Crosse Public Library Archives for a series of tours highlighting historic and architecturally significant residences and buildings in La Crosse.
 (written by Scott Brouwer, Archives staff) Join the La Crosse Public Library Archives for a series of tours highlighting historic and architecturally significant residences and… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/footsteps-of-la-crosse-2014-walking-and-bus-tours/

Very Early La Crosse Church Building Still Standing

One of the earliest buildings to be built in La Crosse was a community hall that was also shared by Congregationalist and Baptist (organized in 1852) churches.
(Written by Megan of the Archives Staff)     German Baptist Church 726 S. 7th St.   One of the earliest buildings to be built in La Crosse was a community hall th… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/very-early-la-crosse-church-building-still-standing/

Trane Tea Room Hosted La Crosse Society

The Trane Family, a close-knit group, catered to La Crosse's genteel society for over 25 years.
(written by Anita Doering, Archives Staff) The Trane Tea Room was located at 205 So. 7th Street in La Crosse from 1931-1950 Recently the Archives received a wonderful essa… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/trane-tea-room-hosted-la-crosse-society/

St. Rose Convent Fire of 1923

90 years ago, on December 2, 1923, a fire destroyed the dormitory wings of the St. Rose Convent at the corner of 9th St. and Market St., the mother house of the order of Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration.
(Written by Scott Brouwer, Archives Staff) 90 years ago, on December 2, 1923, a fire destroyed the dormitory wings of the St. Rose Convent at the corner of 9th St. and Market S… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/st.-rose-convent-fire-of-1923/

Albert Norby, La Crosse Small Businessperson

Albert Norby owned the Albert Norby Meat Market at 929 Mississippi Street, as shown in this photograph.
(Written by Megan of the Archives staff) In the La Crosse city directory for 1897 Albert Norby was working for Jos. Schams Meat Market and boarding at 929 Mississippi Street. B… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/albert-norby-la-crosse-small-businessperson/

John F. Kennedy Slept Here...

Any guesses where?
(written by Megan of the Archives Staff) ...at the Stoddard Hotel. Opened on June 23, 1904 and located at the corner of 4th and State Streets (across from the old post offi… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/john-f-kennedy-slept-here/

St. Wenceslaus Parish School

The first Bohemian settlers arrived in La Crosse in the 1855, many of whom were Catholic.
(written by Scott Brouwer, Archives Staff) The first Bohemian settlers arrived in La Crosse in the 1855, many of whom were Catholic.  At that time there was only one small f… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/st.-wenceslaus-parish-school/

Ye Olde Courthouse

La Crosse County's third courthouse dated from an era when public buildings were grand in size and impressive in style.
(written by Megan of the Archives Staff) In this photo is La Crosse County’s third courthouse, which opened in 1904. It was in the heart of downtown, on a block surrounded … https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/ye-olde-courthouse/

Elmer & Tenney Captured Scenes of La Crosse in 1880s

Elmer & Tenney, Winona photographers, took a series of stereo views (or stereoscopic cards) of La Crosse in 1880-1881 titled “Views in La Crosse, Wis., and Vicinity,” and the La Crosse Public Library Archives has a fairly complete set of these.
(written by Anita Doering, Archives Staff) A stereo view card contains two offset photographic images produced simultaneously with a camera that has two lenses, spaced a certai… https://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/elmer-and-tenney-captured-scenes-of-la-crosse-in-1880s/

Archives

2020

Tags