Search Blog

Footsteps of La Crosse Fall 2017 walking and bus tours

Join the La Crosse Public Library Archives for a series of tours highlighting historic and architecturally significant residences and buildings in La Crosse.
 (written by Scott Brouwer, Archives staff) Join the La Crosse Public Library Archives for a series of tours highlighting historic and architecturally significant residences and… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/footsteps-of-la-crosse-fall-2017-walking-and-bus-tours/

Ghosts of Historic La Crosse Walking Tours

So fun and informative, it's scary!
** Offered June through September, 2017 ** Sunday through Thursday Nights **  7:30pm and 9:00pm Cost only $10 per person Part of the proceeds benefit La Crosse Public Libr… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/ghosts-of-historic-la-crosse-walking-tours/

Hillview Health Care property - 100+ years of care

From poor farm to county home to a multi-level senior campus, Hillview has changed with the times and continues with tradition.
(written by Megan, Archives staff) The property now known as Hillview was originally the city poor farm which was begun soon after the city of La Crosse was incorporated in 185… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/hillview-health-care-property-100-years-of-care/

La Crosse Movie Palaces

While the Rivoli still operates as a theater in downtown La Crosse, over a dozen movie theaters that could rightfully be called movie palaces have been lost to history.
(written by Scott Brouwer, Archives staff) For the third year in a row, Dave Solie of WXOW News 19 has come to us to do background research on a film industry related story to … http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/la-crosse-movie-palaces/

Wilma's Beauty Salon

Wilma Peters owned and operated Wilma's Beauty Salon for over 40 years in downtown La Crosse.
(written by Scott Brouwer, Archives staff) Wilma Peters owned and operated Wilma's Beauty Salon in downtown La Crosse for over 40 years. In 1952, after attending the St. P… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/wilmas-beauty-salon/

The Leona

Leona Linker was a leader in women's fashion and has the patent to prove it.
(written by Megan, Archives Staff) Leona Foerster was born in La Crosse to George & Catherine Foerster. Taught to sew at an early age (the usual for the day), and apprentic… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/the-leona/

Shining Light on the Catholic Cemetery Chapel

The Chapel of the Blessed Virgin of the Seven Dolors (or Sorrows), located in the Catholic Cemetery east of Losey Boulevard, is one of many features of interest in La Crosse cemeteries.
(written by David Kranz, Archives staff) All the cemeteries of La Crosse hold features of interest. One that many of us often pass by but maybe don’t pay direct attention to is… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/shining-light-on-the-catholic-cemetery-chapel/

How Old Is...?

Ever see an older building and wonder about its history?
(written by Megan, Archives staff) Ever see an older building and wonder about its history? 127-129 N. 3rd Street Ever wonder how old your house is? 1616 Sta… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/how-old-is/

Footsteps of La Crosse Fall 2016 walking and bus tours

Join the La Crosse Public Library Archives for a series of tours highlighting historic and architecturally significant residences and buildings in La Crosse.
 (written by Scott Brouwer, Archives staff) Join the La Crosse Public Library Archives for a series of tours highlighting historic and architecturally significant residences and… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/footsteps-of-la-crosse-fall-2016-walking-and-bus-tours/

From the Vault: Evolution of Fire Fighting Equipment

Old Fire Station #5 at 1220 Denton Street was the last crew in the La Crosse Fire Department that used horses to pull their equipment.
(Originally written by Bill Petersen, retired Archives staff) Fire Station #5, 1925 90 years ago on April 18, 1926, Captain Dan Desmond and his crew of firemen a… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/evolution-of-fire-fighting-equipment/

Growing Community Needed Hogan School

In 1899, East Avenue was the eastern edge for a portion of the city’s development. With the spread of residential development and an increasing population came a need for a new school.
(written by David Kranz, Archives Staff) From its roots along the shore of the Mississippi River, the city of La Crosse expanded westward toward the bluffs, filling in the broa… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/growing-community-needed-hogan-school/

Fire!

For a town built by the lumber industry like La Crosse, the threat of fire held a particular terror.
(written by Barry McKnight, Archives staff) For a town built by the lumber industry like La Crosse, the threat of fire held a particular terror. On the morning of April 6, 1886… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/fire/

Christ Episcopal Church

On Grandad Bluff is a plaque noting that the first church service in La Crosse was held June 23, 1850, on the bluff, by a traveling Episcopal minister.
(written by Megan, Archives staff) On Grandad Bluff is a plaque noting that the first church service in La Crosse was held June 23, 1850, on the bluff, by a traveling Episcopal… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/christ-episcopal-church/

2015 La Crosse History Hunt

The 2015 La Crosse History Hunt, held during Historic Downtown Day on October 10, was a resounding success.
(written by Julia Roden and Calli Niemi, Archives interns) The public history field attempts to bridge the gap between society and the academic world. To cross this gap, publ… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/2015-la-crosse-history-hunt/

See Dr. Crocker & Latest Book Oct. 12

You can get an introduction to our local houses and buildings from a new book, La Crosse Buildings Through Time, and enjoy a program by its author Oct. 12.
(written by David Kranz, Archives staff) There are good times ahead for area architecture. Why do I say this? Because interest in historical architecture is on the rise in La … http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/see-dr.-crocker-and-latest-book-oct.-12/

A La Crosse Institution - Doerflinger's Department Store

As was common in towns all over the United States, the La Crosse downtown was the retail center of the city and Doerflinger’s department store was a downtown anchor.
(written by Megan, Archives Staff) As was common in towns all over the United States, the La Crosse downtown was the retail center of the city and Doerflinger’s department stor… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/a-la-crosse-institution-doerflingers-department-store/

New Old Church in La Crosse

The Catholic Cathedral of St. Joseph the Workman at 6th and Main is the second church to occupy this site, and has a long history.
(written by Megan, Archives staff) Coming west on Main Street, as the road shifts left at 6th street, you are greeted by the Catholic Cathedral of St. Joseph the Workman. This … http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/new-old-church-in-la-crosse/

Fires in Winter

Fighting fires with water in freezing temperatures makes for some very compelling photography.
(written by Scott Brouwer, Archives staff) As winter (hopefully) winds down, I thought it might be interesting to share some of the La Crosse Fire Department photos of fires in… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/fires-in-winter/

Lovely La Crosse Park is Formerly a Public School Site

Weigent Park, the lovely park on Cass Street that enhances the neighborhood with a softball field, tennis courts, playground equipment and green space, was once the site of a public school building.
(written by Megan, Archives Staff) Weigent Park is a lovely park on Cass Street (between 15th and 16th streets) that enhances the neighborhood with a softball field, tennis cou… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/lovely-la-crosse-park-is-formally-a-public-school-site/

Bell From County’s Third Courthouse Stands at 4th and Vine

The bell displayed at the corner of 4th and Vine Streets has a long and interesting history.
(written by David Kranz, Archives staff) An audience member at a performance of the Dark La Crosse Tour: Radio Show asked whether the bell at the corner of 4th and Vine Streets… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/bell-from-countys-third-courthouse-stands-at-4th-and-vine/

« Previous 12 Next »

Archives

2017