Our Stories
{
The La Crosse Public Library Archives blog includes stories of our local history, updates on the materials in our collections, and information on upcoming events hosted by the Archives department.

— Feb 22, 2019

LPL Archives' Hidden Treasures: La Crosse Tribune Articles

Have you ever wanted to re-read a La Crosse Tribune article from years ago?

— Feb 8, 2019

The 1948 Centennial

In July of 1948 the city of La Crosse celebrated their centennial, and the state of Wisconsin centennial, with several events including a parade.

— Jan 25, 2019

LPL Archives' Hidden Treasures

Even regular patrons of the La Crosse Public Library at 800 Main Street can be uncertain of what the Archives area on the second floor is all about.

— Jan 15, 2019

Brooks' Bloodhounds

George Brooks (1897-1978) was a La Crosse resident who had two jobs: 1) serving ice cream and soda at the Bodega Lunch Club, and 2) training bloodhounds for police investigations.

— Dec 30, 2018

A Tribute to Dr. Bruce Mouser

When Dr. Bruce Mouser retired from teaching at UWL in 1996, he got serious about doing more extensive research on the African American community history in La Crosse.

— Dec 17, 2018

Looking Back (2018) - Looking Ahead (2019)

A look back at the stories we told in 2018, and a look ahead at the programs planned for 2019.

— Nov 30, 2018

The Oldest Catholic Church in La Crosse

St. Mary's began as a frame building at what would become the NE corner of 7th St. and Cameron Ave. in 1856.

— Nov 16, 2018

The Perfect Storm: Armistice Day 1940

Some bad weather days live on in infamy. Such is the case with the Nov. 11, 1940, Armistice Day storm, often referred to as “The Day the Duck Hunters Died.”

— Nov 7, 2018

Letters Home from World War I

Earlier this fall, the La Crosse Public Library Archives staff found over 60 pages of letters that Sergeant Roy Vingers sent home to his family during his time in service.

— Oct 23, 2018

2018 Dark La Crosse Show

A new production of the popular Dark La Crosse Show will open at the Pump House Regional Arts Center on November 9, 2018.

— Oct 9, 2018

Max’s Auto Wrecking Company

Max’s Auto Wrecking Company began in 1934. This business was located in the former Wisconsin Pearl Button Works building located at 726 3rd Street North just south of the La Crosse River.

— Sep 21, 2018

Fall 2018 Genealogy on the Internet classes

Looking for information about your family history?

 

 

 

 

 

Subject Tags

Past Blog Entries

2018

2019