Looking Back (2022)

Posted by Scott on December 20, 2022

Archives staff/volunteers/interns/guest historians put together a lot of great blog posts in 2022; please take a moment to check out these local history topics by clicking on the blog titles or photos.  Click below to navigate to the following sections of this page.

People | Places | Society




Stanislaus B. Mateske, La Crosse Tribune 21 October 1945 p1



William A. Roosevelt was an early La Crosse steamboat engineer who established a plumbing business and warehouse, serving the needs of steamboat trade plying the waters of the Mississippi River


La Crosse Tribune 1 Mar 1937 p8


In this collection, there are nearly 50 letters from John to Marian that span from January 1893 to May 1902.


"Last evening on the westbound Milwaukee train Mr. and Mrs. Vincent Schwartz and their seven children of this city left for the Klondike, where they will make their future home. About two years ago Mr. Schwartz became a victim of gold fever and went to the Klondike. He staked out five claims and in a short time realized handsomely on his diggings. Finding that five claims were too much to work he disposed of three of them, and leaving the other two in charge of an old prospector, he returned to La Crosse for his wife and family. Mr. Schwartz has built a comfortable home on one of his claims, and expects to live there until he secures an independent fortune." (La Crosse Daily Press, 1 May 1901)


Andrew Myrick (left) and Nathan Myrick (right). The portrait of Andrew Myrick is from the Minnesota Historical Society.


Campaign advertisement - La Crosse Tribune 29 August 1914, p6


Lindy Shannon at the controls at WKBH radio. Photo courtesy of Peter Hansen.


La Crosse Tribune, October 15, 1940, page 8 



A bank style barn that is being rolled onto a stone foundation. Unknown location.


1980 La Crosse Center Grand Opening flyer


The three large bay windows seen in the photo looking west are 2nd-story features of the two buildings in the 300 block of South 4th Street that were destroyed by fire 28 April 2022, ca. 1909.


Here are some scenes from the newspaper of the clubhouse and part of the course in 1936.  La Crosse Tribune, April 19, 1936, p14


La Crosse Tribune 19 August 1934


Midway from the book "From Sawmills to Sunfish: a History of Onalaska".  Photo credit J. Dolbier  



La Crosse Tribune, November 1, 1907, page 12


A rare view of street sweeper in action in a formal photograph of 1889 on the 300 block of Main Street. Photo courtesy of the Leithold family and altered for clarity.


This pattern book was originally owned by the Odin Oyen Decorating Firm in La Crosse


La Crosse Tribune June 10, 1908, page 1


A modest house once located at 1023 South 2nd Street