Search Blog

School Daze

When Logan school at Avon and Sill streets burned, work began on a replacement school at that same location.
(written by Megan, Archives staff) When Logan school at Avon and Sill streets burned, work began on a replacement school at that same location. This school was designated Logan… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/school-daze/

Footsteps of La Crosse Fall 2017 walking and bus tours

Join the La Crosse Public Library Archives for a series of tours highlighting historic and architecturally significant residences and buildings in La Crosse.
 (written by Scott Brouwer, Archives staff) Join the La Crosse Public Library Archives for a series of tours highlighting historic and architecturally significant residences and… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/footsteps-of-la-crosse-fall-2017-walking-and-bus-tours/

La Crosse Movie Palaces

While the Rivoli still operates as a theater in downtown La Crosse, over a dozen movie theaters that could rightfully be called movie palaces have been lost to history.
(written by Scott Brouwer, Archives staff) For the third year in a row, Dave Solie of WXOW News 19 has come to us to do background research on a film industry related story to … http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/la-crosse-movie-palaces/

Shining Light on the Catholic Cemetery Chapel

The Chapel of the Blessed Virgin of the Seven Dolors (or Sorrows), located in the Catholic Cemetery east of Losey Boulevard, is one of many features of interest in La Crosse cemeteries.
(written by David Kranz, Archives staff) All the cemeteries of La Crosse hold features of interest. One that many of us often pass by but maybe don’t pay direct attention to is… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/shining-light-on-the-catholic-cemetery-chapel/

How Old Is...?

Ever see an older building and wonder about its history?
(written by Megan, Archives staff) Ever see an older building and wonder about its history? 127-129 N. 3rd Street Ever wonder how old your house is? 1616 Sta… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/how-old-is/

From the Vault: Evolution of Fire Fighting Equipment

Old Fire Station #5 at 1220 Denton Street was the last crew in the La Crosse Fire Department that used horses to pull their equipment.
(Originally written by Bill Petersen, retired Archives staff) Fire Station #5, 1925 90 years ago on April 18, 1926, Captain Dan Desmond and his crew of firemen a… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/evolution-of-fire-fighting-equipment/

Growing Community Needed Hogan School

In 1899, East Avenue was the eastern edge for a portion of the city’s development. With the spread of residential development and an increasing population came a need for a new school.
(written by David Kranz, Archives Staff) From its roots along the shore of the Mississippi River, the city of La Crosse expanded westward toward the bluffs, filling in the broa… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/growing-community-needed-hogan-school/

Christ Episcopal Church

On Grandad Bluff is a plaque noting that the first church service in La Crosse was held June 23, 1850, on the bluff, by a traveling Episcopal minister.
(written by Megan, Archives staff) On Grandad Bluff is a plaque noting that the first church service in La Crosse was held June 23, 1850, on the bluff, by a traveling Episcopal… http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/christ-episcopal-church/

See Dr. Crocker & Latest Book Oct. 12

You can get an introduction to our local houses and buildings from a new book, La Crosse Buildings Through Time, and enjoy a program by its author Oct. 12.
(written by David Kranz, Archives staff) There are good times ahead for area architecture. Why do I say this? Because interest in historical architecture is on the rise in La … http://archives.lacrosselibrary.org/blog/see-dr.-crocker-and-latest-book-oct.-12/

Archives

2017