This is a finding aid (or, description) of materials available in the La Crosse Public Library Archives. At this time, none of the materials listed below are accessible over the internet.
Contact the Archives to learn more about using these materials.
Guide to the La Crosse County Title Company Records, 1856-1890
Table of Contents
- Records of La Crosse County Title Company, 1856-1930, consists of title abstracts for the City of La Crosse, La Crosse County, and some neighboring areas. Some historical information on the La Crosse Title Company is also included. An index to land titles is included in the register. The La Crosse County Title Company was incorporated in 1931 with Josiah Pettingill as president and major stockholder. He served previously in a number of county offices, including county clerk, and began to draw up abstracts as early as 1880. In 2015, Marilyn Wille sold the company to the Knight Barry Title Group in La Crosse, Wis., and stayed on as the regional manager of the group.
- Collection Title
- La Crosse County Title Company Records,
- Date of Materials
- La Crosse County TItle Company (La Crosse, Wis.).
- Call Number
- MSS L
- 0.2 cubic feet
- Physical Description
- 1 archives box
- Language of Materials
- La Crosse Public Library Archives
[Identification of item], La Crosse County Title Company Records, MSS L, La Crosse Public Library Archives, La Crosse, WI
The La Crosse County Title Company was incorporated in 1931 with Josiah Pettingill as president and major stockholder. He served previously in a number of county offices, including county clerk, and began to draw up abstracts as early as 1880.
Soon after forming the company, Josiah Pettingill died and his son Claude Pettingill took over the business. He continued as president until his death in 1948, at which time the La Crosse County title Company (later called The Title Company) was sold to Thomas J. Holstein.
In 2015, The Title Company was sold to the Knight Barry Title Group in La Crosse, Wis..
Scope and Contents
The records of the La Crosse County Title Company consist almost entirely of title abstracts. The areas covered include sections of the city of La Crosse, La Crosse County, and West Salem. Most of the abstracts were completed before 1890. There is an index located in the register folder which defines the legal description as well as the street address for each property. In addition, there is also a name index, for names mentioned in the title abstracts. A small amount of general information about the company is found in folder one.
La Crosse Public Library Archives 1985 June800 Main St.
La Crosse, Wisconsin, 54601
Access to Materials
Materials in this collection are available for patron use.
(Accession No. 1984.015) Donated by the La Crosse County Historical Society, 1984
Processed June 1985 by Amy Groskopf; reprocessed December 2016 by Hannah L Weber
Controlled Access Headings
- La Crosse County Historical Society (Wis.).
- Abstracts of title--Wisconsin--La Crosse
- Real property--Wisconsin--La Crosse
- Real property--Wisconsin--La Crosse County
- Real property--Wisconsin--West Salem
- Title companies--Wisconsin--La Crosse
Lot No. 2 of Block No. 2 of Dunn, Dousman and Cameron's Addition to the Town of La Crosse, 1879
NW 1/4 of the SW 1/4 of Section No. 25, Township No. 18 North of Range No. 6 West, 1876 January 18
Middle 20 ft of Lot 2, block 7, Original Plat of La Crosse, 1870 March 24
Lot 15, Block 10, Esperson & Burns Addition to La Crosse, circa 1882
South 39 feet of Lot 5, block 1 of Lord and Rodolf's Addition to the Village of La Crosse, undated
Lots 6 and 7 in Block 1 of Burns & Overbaugh Addition 1871 March 9
Lot 10 and the North 40 feet of lot 9, block 12 of the original plat of (West) Salem, 1894-1899
NE 1/4 of Section 32 in Township 24, T24N R7W 1879 January 22
SE 1/4 SW 1/4 of Lot 4 of Jansen's Block in the Overbaugh and Burns Addition to La Crosse, 1883 February 9
NE 1/4 of NE 1/4, block 10 Oak Grove Park, Oak Grove addition of La Crosse 1898
Lot 5 in Block 2 of T. Burns, G. Farnam, and P. Burns additions to La Crosse, 1877 August 28
S 1/2 of NW 1/4, Sec. 29, T16N R5W and NE 1/4 of Sec. 30, T16N R5W 1870 October
NW corner of SE 1/4 of SE 1/4, Sec. 17, T16N R7W 1930 September 15
S 1/2 of lots 12 & 13, block 4 of Clinton & Rublee's Addition, undated
SW 1/4 of SE 1/4 of Section 4 T15N R7W 1885 July 27
Sec. 17, T16N R7W, 1898 June 9
Block 8, Jane Cole's Addition to North La Crosse, 1885 July 27