Burns Cemetery

Map to Burns Cemetery

 written by Amanda Lambert

Having once been part of the Town of Hamilton, the Town of Burns was organized in 1854.

Burns Cemetery, March 2000On April 15, 1858, Ira & Elvira Coleman recorded a warranty deed [La Crosse County Register of Deeds, volume 21 page 303] to the Town of Burns for the land "...to be used exclusively as a town cemetary (sic)." As was common, several graves already existed on the newly acquired land. On July 9, 1859, the cemetery was platted.

 Burns Cemetery, located just north of the junction of Highways 16 and 162, is now one of the largest rural cemeteries in La Crosse County. It expanded gradually with additions of land.

Stone in Burns Cemetery, March 2000On August 25, 1892, a cemetery association began. Mrs. Alex Benzie was the first president. The fee to join was 25 cents with an annual due of 40 cents. Dinners, auctions and other social events were held regularly to obtain money for perpetual care and upkeep of the cemetery.

Search our online cemetery database

Census List Details: