This is a finding aid (or, description) of materials available in the La Crosse Public Library Archives.  At this time, none of the materials listed below are accessible over the internet.

Contact the Archives to learn more about using these materials.

Guide to the Family & Children's Center Records, 1881-1994 MSS 011, Micro 5

Guide to the Family & Children's Center Records, 1881-1994

MSS 011, Micro 5

Summary Information

Abstract
The Family & Children's Center located in La Crosse, Wisconsin, was formed in 1983 by the merger of the Family Services Association and the La Crosse Home for Children. The Center strives to operate a residential treatment facility for children with special care needs, as well as serve as an administrative and professional center for skilled personnel responsible for the specialized counseling needs of families and individuals. Previous names of the Family Services Association were the Wisconsin Humane Society of La Crosse, Social Service Society, Family Welfare Society and the Family Welfare Association. Previous names of the La Crosse Home for Children were La Crosse Home for Friendless Women and the La Crosse Home for Friendless Women and Children. The Family Services Association records (1881-1982) are extensive and include newspaper clippings, articles of incorporation and by-laws, board minutes and annual reports, financial records, agency evaluations, monthly statistical reports and other administrative files. A Humane officer's log is restricted. Records (1888-1983) of the La Crosse Home for Children are also extensive. Early materials include a "log of inmates" from 1888-1915, photographs of the Home and children that illustrate every day life in the Home, and newspaper clippings. Other records include by-laws (1888-1972), board of directors' committee materials and minutes (1888-1982), annual reports (1931-1981 with gaps), agency evaluations, licensing, externally produced reports, and financial records. A residential report file is restricted. Records (1983-1990) of the Family & Children's Center include historical materials and administrative files, such as merger documents and board meeting minutes, as well as some materials from the Douglas Center, a clinic that merged with the Family & Children's Center in 1994.
Collection Title
Family & Children's Center Records
Date of Materials
1881-1994
Creator
Family and Children's Center (La Crosse, Wis.).
Call Number
MSS 011, Micro 5
Amount
7.0 cubic feet
Physical Description
17 archives boxes, 1 large flat box, 2 reels of 35 mm microfilm
Language of Materials
English
Repository
La Crosse Public Library Archives

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Family & Children's Center Records, MSS 011, La Crosse Public Library Archives, La Crosse, WI

Return to Table of Contents »


Historical Note

The Family & Children's Center located at 2507 Weston Street in La Crosse is actually a result of a 1983 merger of two private agencies: the La Crosse Home for Children and the Family Service Association. Both groups have complex histories that illustrate the benevolent character of the La Crosse area community and the changing attitude of family counseling from the late nineteenth century to the present.

Today the Center continues to be a home for children with special care needs as well as an administrative and professional center for skilled personnel responsible for the specialized counseling needs of families and individuals. Many services are offered by the Center such as residential treatment for children, treatment foster care, counseling, parent-aide services, respite care, and intensive home-based services. Funding is derived mainly from local government, the United Way, personal insurance and special government contracts. The services rendered by the Family & Children's Center fulfill a variety of needs of the La Crosse community.

The more detailed history of the Center's predecessors, the Family Service Association and the La Crosse Home for Children, is described below.

 Family Service Association

On March 28, 1881, a group of residents met to form a branch of the Wisconsin Humane Society, one of the first secular charitable organizations in La Crosse. The purpose of this group was to "prevent cruelty" to animals and human beings. Early participants included Rev. & Mrs. L. W. Brigham, Dr. & Mrs. Edgar Palmer, Charles Seymour, and many other important La Crosse citizens.

Agents were directed by the board to find and report cases of abuse. Oftentimes this humane officer would act on tips he received on particular individuals or families. The humane officer established local contacts with residents similar to a police officer's "beat." Recorded in the officers' logs were a good number of animal abuse cases, specifically dealing with horses. The humane officer often noted in his reports that family problems were due in large part to "drink." From 1904, the Humane Society cooperated in the work of Associated Charities, Inc., of La Crosse, an agency designed to promote cooperation among city charities. By 1908, the group's efforts included anti-tuberculosis and anti-rabies programs, distribution of aid and clothing for the destitute, and attempts to establish a "pest house" and earlier closing hours for local promote cooperation among city charities. By 1908, the group's efforts included anti-tuberculosis and anti-rabies programs, distribution of aid and clothing for the destitute, and attempts to establish a "pest house" and earlier closing hours for local saloons. Funds were raised to sponsor a visiting nurse, and in 1911 the first trained and salaried executive secretary and social worker were hired. In the following year the Humane Society merged with Associated Charities of La Crosse. As a result, the services to befriend the indigent and homeless were strengthened.

In 1921 the organization became the Social Service Society. At that time the organization was deeply concerned with temperance and other social issues. The group began to focus on families and family welfare. Funding was derived from the city council, La Crosse Community Council, civic groups, and an annual Charity Ball. In 1922 the society helped to form the Community Chest, a forerunner of the local United Way. During the Depression, the Society's role changed from providing financial assistance to delivering social services agency filling gaps in social services that the government wasn't providing for.

The group changed its name to the Family Welfare Society of La Crosse in 1941 and began to concentrate on marital problems and parent-child problems. Some of the activities undertaken by the society included the housing and feeding of transients and local families, distribution of food and clothing, and the placement of children in foster homes. By 1960, the organization changed its name to the Family Welfare Association and more emphasis was placed on marital and family counseling. Other programs included relief for military personnel, Travelers' Aide, and funding a school nurse and probation officer. The agency became a local clearinghouse to which other community groups could turn for social service information.

In 1972 the name Family Service Association was adopted and the organization was affiliated nationally with the Family Service Association of America. Until the 1983 merger, the Association was responsible for the counseling of family, marital, parent-child, and emotional problems.

As early as 1961, the concept of merging the Family Service Association with the La Crosse Home for Children was in place. A citizen's study conducted under the auspices of the La Crosse Home for Children and the Community Chest and Welfare Federation of La Crosse, Inc. assessed "the role of the La Crosse Home for Children in relation to group care needs of La Crosse County children and youth." In this report it was suggested that "there is considerable merit in the idea of merging or in some way combining the programs" of both agencies. This was not to happen until 1983 when FSA joined forces with the La Crosse Home for Children to become the Family & Children's Center.

 La Crosse Home for Children
An informal group of young women who had been sewing for the poor formed the Young Ladies Mission Band in 1883, becoming the first separately organized charity in La Crosse. Supported by the proceeds of private subscriptions and annual charity balls, the Mission Band initially set out to provide in some way for the care of dependent elderly women. This group was led by Miss Anna Bliss who was later to become Mrs. Ellis B. Usher. At the same time, another group of local women were discussing the possibility of organizing a group home for children in La Crosse. These two groups decided to unite in their cause and share their talents and interests.

In September 1888, the Board of Managers of the La Crosse Home for Friendless Women and Children was incorporated. The first Board was comprised of the following women: Mrs. L. F. Easton, President; Mrs. Gideon C. Hixon, Vice President; Mrs. Edgar Palmer, Secretary; Mrs. William Listman, Treasurer; Mrs. N. B. Allen, Mrs. Charles L. Colman, Mrs. Kenneth Hough, Mrs. Joseph W. Losey, Mrs. Gysbert Van Steenwyk, Mrs. R. A. Scott, and from the Mission Band Miss Anna Bliss, Miss Inga Fleischer, Miss Minna Platz, Miss Fannie Sill, and Mrs. C. L. Lein.
For a monthly rental fee of $22, a house at 717 Badger Street was secured in July 1888, and the Mission Band was able to furnish the house almost completely with donations. Four elderly women were the first occupants, and the first child was admitted November 1888. The goals of the Home were to provide shelter for homeless, dependent women and children. The children were not orphans; their parents were simply unable to take care for them for a variety of reasons: death, divorce and desertion were some of the more common causes.

In the early years, the Home strove to act as a nursing home, a children's home, a day care center, and lodging house for transients among other things. Inexperience and ill prepared "matrons" or residential directors came and went frequently. It was not until 1923 when a woman with some child welfare training arrived. After her departure in 1929, Miss Josephine Fletcher began a long tenure with the Home and can be considered the first professional residential director. She retired from the Home in 1953.

By 1890 the ambitious work of the Home had brought a great amount of success which in turn resulted in cramped quarters for the occupants. The Board at this point decided to purchase the B. E. Edwards home at Eleventh and Ferry Streets (609 South Eleventh Street) for $7000 in April 1891. The house was built for lumberman Robert Ross although not completed until sometime later by B. E. Edwards. Some alterations were made to the back of the house in 1900, and in 1912 five small bedrooms and a bathroom were added in a south wing. This house remained as the Home's residence until a new facility was built and opened in 1963.

Over time, financial assistance became available to elderly women and the Home decided to accept only children as residents. In June 1937 the word "Friendless" was officially dropped from the title of the Home, and the name became La Crosse Home for Children shortly afterwards. In 1938 the Home was licensed by the State of Wisconsin to care for 25 children, ranging in age from three to 16 years of age. It was under the "supervisory control" of the Department of Social Adjustment, Division of Child Welfare. By 1943-44 there were 29 children living in the Home and children were referred to the residence by the county's welfare office.

Bequests to the Home helped to build up an endowment fund which enabled the Home to build a new facility on Weston Street. In 1949 the Community Chest was reorganized and the Home joined in its annual fund drive. Some fund raising events continued, such as the lawn party, so that monies could be raised for special projects, and the community could see and visit the Home. In 1958 Mrs. Henry Gund, a woman active on the Board, died and left her Cass Street residence to the La Crosse Home for Children, its sale adding considerably to the building fund of the Home.

The new La Crosse Home for Children facility on Weston Street broke ground in December 1962 and the children moved in October 1963. The property at Weston Street and Losey Boulevard was purchased from Arthur Holst at a reduced price. The new facility was paid entirely through private donations. The building was constructed of Wisconsin limestone and included 16,500 square feet of space. A wing added on in 1976 gave the facility an additional 3376 square feet of lounge and office space for $126,000.

By 1963, the average occupancy of the Home was between 17 and 20 children, girls from 6 to 14 years of age, and boys up to 18 years of age. Each child was supervised by a case worker from the agency that placed him/her in the Home. The La Crosse Home for Children continued to furnish temporary or long term care for children who were not deeply disturbed.

During the five years following the construction of the new residence, attitudes regarding the concept of child welfare nationally were changing. These changing attitudes determined the future purpose and clientele of the Home. Foster homes began to replace residential centers such as the La Crosse Home for Children. As this occurred, a need developed for a facility to treat behaviorally and emotionally disturbed children in a residential environment.

In the fall of 1968 Anita Lenz was hired as administrator and director of social services at the Home. Under her direction, a treatment program was developed for emotionally disturbed children with an increasing emphasis placed on therapeutic intervention and support services for the children and their families. The maximum number of residents was now 23 and included girls between the ages of 5 to 8 and boys 10 to 14.

Robert O'Connell became Executive Director of the Home in 1977. By this time the treatment programs were well established but usually required several years of residential care. Through more specialized therapy and increased family involvement, a shortened stay in treatment was achieved. The first group home was founded in 1979 and the second in 1981 as a result of an increased demand for alternatives to residential treatment. The treatment program and environment was less intensive and restrictive than the residential program. Other services were added to lend support to families in their own homes and to allow children with behavior problems the opportunity to live with foster parents while undergoing in-house treatment.

In 1983 the La Crosse Home for Children and the Family Service Association merged to form the Family & Children's Center. Services offered in range from residential treatment, counseling services, treatment foster care, intensive home-based services, respite care, and parent-aide services. The mission today is to provide "a continuum of residential and outpatient counseling services to troubled children, families and individuals." According to the 1988 annual report, 68 children lived in residential treatment; 41 children received treatment foster care; 103 families benefited from intensive home-based services; 229 families made use of the respite care service; and 947 children and adults visited therapists and support groups. Over the previous five years, facility-based services increased 30% while home-based services had grown at an average rate of 160%.

Although the specific goals of the Family & Children's Center are different than those of the original La Crosse Home for Friendless Women & Children, the staff and board of directors are dedicated to the welfare of the La Crosse area children and families, and the greater La Crosse community.

On October 1, 1994, a merger took place between the Family and Children's Center and Douglas Mental Health Services in Viroqua, Wisconsin. The latter was renamed the Douglas Center, a Division of Family and Children's Center. The merger enabled the Douglas Center to spend more time working with clients.

 References
Van Steenwyk, Gysbert. "The Humane Society and its Successors," in  La Crosse County Historical Society Sketches, series seven (La Crosse, La Crosse County Historical Society), 1945, pp. 83-90.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents

The Family Service Association records are very extensive and are divided up into Historical Materials and Administrative Files. The Historical Materials include brief written histories, newspaper clippings, and two restricted Humane officer's logs 1907-1909; 1913-1914. "Restricted" means that patrons may not look at or use these logs without the written permission of the Family & Children's Center administrator. These logs identify local people in perhaps compromising situations.

The Administrative Files contain articles of incorporation and by-laws, annual reports to the Family Services Association of America (the national organization), board of directors' committee materials, financial information and meeting minutes (1881-1982); agency evaluations (1951, 1959, 1965), monthly statistical reports (1921-1972 with gaps), and other scattered administrative documents.

The meeting minutes (1881-1982) and statistical reports (1921-1949 some gaps; 1960-1972) really illuminate the work of the agency from the beginning as a chapter of the Humane Society to the merger of Family Services Association and La Crosse Home for Children in January 1983. The minutes also include annual reports that were printed for the membership's annual meeting held in November each year.

The records of the La Crosse Home for Children include an extensive set of board of directors' meeting minutes 1888-1982. Other materials which document the early period of this group include written histories, newspaper clippings, photographs, and a "log of inmates" from 1888-1915. This log recorded the comings and goings of residents to the La Crosse Home for Friendless Women and Children.

The La Crosse Home for Children records are arranged into three subseries: Historical Materials, Administrative Files, and Financial Records. The Historical Materials include written histories, newspaper clippings (ca. 1890-1977), a log of inmates (1888-1915), photographs of the Home, some staff and children, and taped interviews with Anita Flint Lenz, administrator, dating from 1971-1973. Aside from board minutes, the Administrative Files are severely lacking before the 1970s, although some important materials survive from the 1930s and 1940s, notably by-laws, some annual reports, and building documents. Other Administrative Files include board of directors' committee materials and meeting minutes (1888-1982), buildings and grounds improvements (includes group homes information, 1944-1983), evaluations of agency (1949; 1969-1977), lawn party preparations (1952-1981), licensing (1966-1981), and externally produced reports.

Finally, the Financial Records of the La Crosse Home for Children include audits; building fund (1968-1978) and other fund drives (1976); gifts, memorials and bequests (1969-1983); investments (1967-1978); a treasurer's cash book (1939-1945); treasurer's report, and miscellaneous documents that date generally from 1939-1945; 1967-1982. Some financial information is also recorded in the board minutes.

The third series is that of Family & Children's Center records which include Historical Materials, Administrative Files, Financial Records, and the Douglas Center. The Historical Materials include written histories, newspaper clippings, news releases, a journal kept in memory of an FCC Respite Care Worker, and photographs of the building, staff, board members, and events.

The Administrative Files are comprised of a Board of Directors' assessment (1987), committee materials (1982-1984), materials relating to fund raising campaigns (1984-1992), long range planning (1987-1991), merger documents (1980-1982, 1987), and board meeting minutes (1983-1985; 1986, Aug.-Nov.).

Financial records include fund raising (1983-1986) and gifts, memorials and bequests (1989-1990).

Finally, a smaller subseries is that of the Douglas Center, of Viroqua Wisconsin. These materials are comprised of correspondence (1987), a brief biographical sketch of Aashild Douglas (founder of the center), newspaper clippings (1982-1990), and photographs of the building, events, and staff (1987-1994).

Return to Table of Contents »


Arrangement

For simplicity's sake and to maintain some original order, the collection has been carved up into three large series and has been treated as three separate manuscript collections because of the merger of the Family Services Association and the La Crosse Home for Children in January 1983. These three series are: Family Services Association records (1881-1982), , La Crosse Home for Children materials (ca. 1890-1983), , and finally the Family & Children's Center records (1983-1990), . A fourth series, Allied Organizations, contains just a smattering of miscellaneous materials associated with the Family & Children's Center and its predecessors.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

La Crosse Public Library Archives 2001 May

800 Main St.
La Crosse, Wisconsin, 54601
(608) 789-7136
archives@lacrosselibrary.org

Access to Materials

Materials in this collection are open for patron research with the following exceptions: A Humane officer's log and a residential report file are restricted. Restricted materials may be accessed with written consent of the current Executive Director of the Family & Children's Center.

Acquisitions Information

Donated by the Board of Directors via Susan Larson, Development Director, Family & Children's Center, January 1990 and January 1991; photographs of 2507 Weston donated by Robert O'Connell, Executive Director, Family & Children's Center, July 1991; early minute books of LHC donated by Melissa Duin, F & CC, May and Sept. 1993; scrapbooks and administrative files donated by Mary McLaughlin, Oct. 1997 and Aug. 1999.

(Accession Nos. 1990.002, 1991.002, 1991.010, 1993.009, 1993.014, 1997.022, 1999.024)

Processing Information

Processed by Anita Taylor Doering with help from Carrie A. Seib, 1991; additions processed by ATD 1993; additions processed by Christine Stolz May 2001.

Return to Table of Contents »


Related Materials

Related Materials

(MSS F)
 Albert F. Sanford Papers. [Includes an annual report for the La Crosse Home for the Friendless, 1889]
(MSS G)
 Van Steenwyk, Gysbert & Family Papers. [Records of Mariette Van Steenwyk include treasurer's book, bills, receipts, and cancelled checks from the La Crosse Home for Friendless Women and Children, 1894-1907]
(Annual Reports)
 Available: 1971, 1974, 1986-present
(Clipping File)
 La Crosse--Institutions--La Crosse Home for Children
(Clipping File)
 La Crosse--Institutions--Family & Children's Center
(Clipping File)
 La Crosse--Organizations--Family Services Association

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • Family and Children's Center (La Crosse, Wis.).
  • Family Service Association of La Crosse.
  • Family Welfare Association (La Crosse, Wis.).
  • Family Welfare Society of La Crosse (Wis.).
  • La Crosse Home for Children (La Crosse, Wis.).
  • La Crosse Home for Friendless Women and Children (La Crosse, Wis.).
  • Social Service Society (La Crosse, Wis.).
  • Wisconsin Humane Society of La Crosse (Wis.).

Geographic Name(s)

  • La Crosse (Wis.)--Societies, etc.

Subject(s)

  • Children--Services for--Wisconsin--La Crosse
  • Family services--Wisconsin--La Crosse
  • Social service--Wisconsin--La Crosse
  • Social work with children--Wisconsin--La Crosse
  • Social work with women--Wisconsin--La Crosse
  • Women--Services for--Wisconsin--La Crosse

Return to Table of Contents »


OCLC Number

42396838

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

 (Series 1) Family Services Association 

 (Subseries 1.1) Historical Materials 

Box Folder

Brief histories, undated 

1 1
Reel Reel

Clippings, 1912-1966 

1 (Micro 5) 2 (Micro 5)
Box Folder

Humane officer's log 1907-1914 

Access to Materials

Materials in these folders have limited access.

2 1-2

 (Subseries 1.2) Administrative Files 

Box Folder

Articles of incorporation, constitution, by-laws, 1915-1982 

1 2

Annual reports to Family Services Association of America, 1959-1969 

1 3-4

Board of Directors 

Committees 

Box Folder

Centennial, 1981 

1 5

Executive 

Box Folder

Correspondence, 1980 

1 6

Memos to board, 1981-1982 

1 7

Minutes, 1980-1982 

1 8

Finance 

Audits 

Box Folder

 1946-1960 

1 9-10

 1961-1969 

3 1-2
Box Folder

Fund campaign, 1946-1947 

3 3

Journal, 1950-1966 

3 4

Minutes, 1980-1982 

3 5

Reports 

Box Folder

 1920-1928 

3 6

 1933-1953 

3 7

 1969-1981 

3 8
Box Folder

Long Range Planning, 1982 

3 9

Nomination & Orientation, 1980-1981 

3 10

Personnel 

Box Folder

Minutes, 1978 

6 11

Minutes, 1979-1982 

3 11

Salaries & policies, 1948-1981 

3 12

Sample job descriptions, undated 

4 1

Staff manual, undated 

4 2
Box Folder

Program, 1979-1982 

4 3

Public Relations, 1980-1982 

4 4
Box Folder

Medical fee schedules 

4 5

Minutes 

Box Folder

 1881-1948 

4 6-9

 1949-1976 

5 1-7

 1977-1982 

6 1-4
Box Folder

Developmental study, 1979 

6 5

Evaluations of agency 

Box Folder

 1951 

6 6

 1959 

6 7

 1965 

6 8
Box Folder

Interagency program, 1976-1977 

6 9

Lease agreement, 1966-1977 

6 10

Services offered by FSA, undated 

6 12

Statistical reports 

Box Folder

 1921-1940 

6 13-14

 1946-1949 

6 15

 1960-1972 

7 1-5

Return to Table of Contents »


 (Series 2) La Crosse Home for Children 

 (Subseries 2.1) Historical Materials 

Box Folder

Historical background, undated 

8 1

Clippings, circa 1890-1977 

8 2

Log of "inmates," 1888-1915 

8 3

Photographs 

Box Folder

Home (609 S. 11th), circa 1920 - circa 1963 

9 1

Home (2507 Weston), 1963 

9 2

Board and staff members, 1940s - 1960s 

9 3

Children, circa 1960, undated 

9 4-6
Box Box

Interviews with Anita Flint Lenz, LHC administrator, 1971-1973   2 reel-to-reel audio tapes, 1 3/4 inch video tape; runtime unknown

11 11

 (Subseries 2.2) Administrative Files 

Box Folder

Articles of incorporation, by-laws, 1888-1972 

9 7

Annual reports, 1931-1981 

9 8

Board of Directors 

Committees 

Box Folder

Legislative, 1973 

9 9

Membership, 1971-1982 

9 10

Personnel & Executive, 1969-1981 

9 11

Program & Long Range Planning, 1972-1977 

9 9

Public Relations, 1947-1981 

10 2
Box Folder

Correspondence, 1954-1958 

10 3

Minutes 

Box

 1888-1926 

16

 1926-1969 

17
Box Folder

 1969-1982 

10 4-7

Buildings and Grounds 

Box Folder

Commemorative Plaque (rubbing), 1964 

18 1

Home, 1944-1979 

10 8-10

Group Home I, 1971-1983 

10 11

Reedsburg Group Home, 1981-1983 

12 1
Box Folder

Evaluation of Agency, 1949; 1969-1977 

12 2

Lawn parties, 1952-1981 

12 3

Licensing, 1966-1981 

12 4

Non-monetary contributions, 1891-1901 

12 5

Reports 

Box Folder

"La Crosse Home for Children and Group Care Needs in La Crosse County," 1960 

12 6

"Characteristics of Child Caring Institutions in the Eau Claire Region," 1976 

12 7

"Developmental Study of the United Agencies Building Corporation," 1979 

12 8

Residential director's reports 1961-1963 

Access to Materials

Materials in this folder have limited access.

2 3

 (Subseries 2.3) Financial Records 

Box Folder

Audits, 1968-1979 

2 9

Fund raising 

Box Folder

Building Fund, 1968-1978 

2 10

Other fund drives, 1976 

2 11

Gifts, memorials and bequests 

Bequests over $100 

Box Folder

List of bequests 

13 1

Albrecht, Charles E., 1972 

13 2

Bennett, Virginia, 1983 

13 3

Bringe, Selma, 1972 

13 4

Caldwell, Jessie E., 1972 

13 5

Chase, Blanche O., 1966 

13 6

Clemmons, Julius P., 1978 

13 7

Colman, Anna, 1980 

13 8

deRanitz, Maria Catherina, 1972 

13 9

Fleischer, Bay, 1972 

13 10

Fletcher, Josephine, 1967 

13 11

Hackner, Anna, 1985 

13 12

Hale, Helen W., 1976 

13 13

Hauge, Josephine, 1970 

13 14

Heisel, Glenn, 1984 

13 15

Hoeffner, Mollie I., 1973 

13 16

Hoffman, Emma, 1978 

13 17

Humfeld, Christina, 1978 

13 18

Kirk, Gertrude, 1989 

13 19

Klein, Alice R., 1964 

13 20

Liso, Ida M., 1983 

13 21

Niemeyer, Emil, 1969 

13 22

Van Steenwyk, Gysbert, 1978 

13 23

Wright, Razy M., 1972 

13 24
Box Folder

Membership lists, undated 

13 25

Investments, 1967-1978 

13 26

Treasurer's cash book 1939 June 1 - 1945 March 1 

18 4

Treasurer's reports, 1969-1980 

18 27

Trust Company agreements, 1933, 1979 

18 28

Miscellaneous 1967-1982 

18 29-30

Return to Table of Contents »


 (Series 3) Family & Children's Center 

 (Subseries 3.1) Historical Materials 

Box Folder

Historical background, undated 

14 1

Clippings, 1979-1991 

14 2

Journal in memory of Judy Pina, FCC, Respite Care Worker, 1992 

14 3

News releases, 1983-1991 

14 4

Photographs 

Box Folder

Board and staff members, 1980s-1994 

14 5

Building 2507 Weston, circa 1980s 

18 2

Building 2507 Weston, 1980s-1994 

14 6

Events, 1988-1994 

14 7

Staff and residents, circa 1980s 

18 3

 (Subseries 3.2) Administrative Files 

 (Subseries 3.2.1) Board of Directors 

Box Folder

Assessment, 1987 

14 8

Committees 

Box Folder

Financial/Executive, 1982-1983 

14 9

Personnel, 1983-1984 

14 10

Public Relations/Development, 1983 

14 11

Fund raising campaigns 

Box Folder

Correspondence, 1984-1991 

14 12

Events, 1988-1990 

14 13

Manual, 1992 

14 14
Box Folder

Long range planning: Five-year plan 1987-1991 

14 15

Merger (includes Articles of Incorporation 1987), 1980-1987 

15 1

 (Subseries 3.2.2) Minutes 

Box Folder

 1983-1984 

15 2

 1985 

15 3

 1986 February - November 

15 4

 (Subseries 3.3) Financial records 

Box Folder

Fund raising, 1983-1986 

15 5

Gifts, memorials and bequests, 1986-1990 

15 6

 (Subseries 3.4) Douglas Center 

Box Folder

Correspondence, 1987 

5 7

Historical background, undated 

5 8

Clippings, 1982-1990 

5 9

Photographs 

Box Folder

Building, 1994 

5 10

Events, 1987-1994 

5 11

Staff, circa 1987-1994 

5 12

Return to Table of Contents »


 (Series 4) Allied Organizations 

 (Subseries 4.1) Community Chest & Welfare Federation of La Crosse 

Box Folder

Articles of Incorporation, by-laws, 1956 (?) 

13 31

 (Subseries 4.2) Western Wisconsin Children's Services Corporation 

Box Folder

Articles of incorporation & by-laws, 1974 

13 32

Board of Directors minutes, 1974 

13 33

Return to Table of Contents »