This is a finding aid (or, description) of materials available in the La Crosse Public Library Archives. At this time, none of the materials listed below are accessible over the internet.
Contact the Archives to learn more about using these materials.
Guide to the Holy Trinity Catholic Church (La Crosse, Wisconsin) Records, 1927-2002 (bulk 1987-1989)
Table of Contents
- The Holy Trinity Catholic Church on 1333 South 13th Street in La Crosse, Wisconsin was built in 1894. Originally called St. Nicholas Catholic Congregation, the first church building was converted for classroom use when the new church building dedicated to the Most Holy Trinity was constructed on the property to accommodate the growing congregation. The collection documents the activities of the pastors and members of the Holy Trinity Catholic Congregation, as well as the development of the church structures from 1887-1999. Materials are arranged in chronological order and include photos, photograph negatives, a yearbook, church programs, and a scrapbook including church committee meeting minutes, and newspaper clippings concerning church history and activities.
- Collection Title
- Holy Trinity Catholic Church (La Crosse, Wisconsin) Records
- Date of Materials [bulk]
- Bulk, 1987-1989
- Date of Materials [inclusive]
- 1927-2002 (bulk 1987-1989)
- Holy Trinity Catholic Church (La Crosse, Wis.).
- Call Number
- MSS 126
- 0.4 cubic feet
- Physical Description
- 1 archives box
- Language of Materials
- La Crosse Public Library Archives
[Identification of item], Holy Trinity Catholic Church (La Crosse, Wisconsin) Records, MSS 126, La Crosse Public Library Archives, La Crosse, WI
In 1887, Reverend Killian Flasch, Bishop of La Crosse acknowledged the need for a new parish on the south side of La Crosse and appointed a committee to determine a site for the new church and oversee the project. The first structure, Saint Nicholas, was dedicated on Sunday, October 30, 1887. The first Solemn High Mass was sung at Saint Nicholas Church on November 8, 1887.
In response to a growing congregation, the church members decided on January 1, 1894 to begin making plans for a new church building, which was constructed and dedicated on December 4, 1894 to the Most Holy Trinity. The original building was converted into classrooms for the school operated by the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration. The Sisters later built a convent on South Park and 15th Streets to better accommodate the school operation.
In 1915, Holy Trinity High School was founded as the first Catholic high school in La Crosse. In 1928, Holy Trinity High School graduated its last class of thirty four students and Aquinas High School opened in September of that year.
In 1929, the Holy Trinity Bowling Association was formed and the original nine pin bowling alley in Leo Hall was replaced with two new ten pin alleys. Pins were originally set by hand, but mechanical pinsetters were installed in 1937. The alleys were used regularly until they were removed from Leo Hall in the 1980s. Leo Hall continued to function as a multi-purpose space for social events and receptions throughout the 1980s and early 2000s.
The congregation and school’s student body continued to expand, leading to modifications of the school and church buildings between 1940 and 1952. Further remodeling, updated electric lighting, and repainting in the church building continued throughout the 1970s.
In 1987, the Holy Trinity Catholic Congregation celebrated one hundred years of serving the south side of La Crosse.
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of photos, photograph negatives, a yearbook, church programs, and a scrapbook including church committee meeting minutes, and newspaper clippings concerning church history and activities.
The photographs from the years 1984-2000, document the church buildings, congregational activities, fundraising events, and members of the congregation. The scrapbook from the years 1933-2002, documents the evolution of church governance, the development of the church buildings, and the congregational activities and organizations from the founding of the church in 1887 to the early 2000s. A timeline and summary of church history of the Holy Trinity Catholic Congregation is located in the first half of the scrapbook.
La Crosse Public Library Archives 2011800 Main St.
La Crosse, Wisconsin, 54601
Access to Materials
Materials in this collection are available for patron use.
(Accession no. 2010.031) Donated by Gene Howly, 2010
Processed by Kim Shong and Sloan Komissarov, 2011
Finding aid written by Sloan Komissarov, 2011
- (373.05 H7478W)
- Wide Awake
Controlled Access Headings
- Holy Trinity Catholic Church (La Crosse, Wis.).
- La Crosse (Wis.)--Societies, etc.
- Catholic Church--Wisconsin--La Crosse
- Church history--Wisconsin--La Crosse
Wide Awake yearbook, 1927
Homecoming raffle and auction poster, 1986 August 3
Church programs, 1987-1999
Photographs and negatives, 1984-2000