This is a finding aid (or, description) of materials available in the La Crosse Public Library Archives.  At this time, none of the materials listed below are accessible over the internet.

Contact the Archives to learn more about using these materials.

Guide to the North Presbyterian Church (La Crosse, Wisconsin) Records, 1872-1959 MSS 048, Micro 21

Guide to the North Presbyterian Church (La Crosse, Wisconsin) Records, 1872-1959

MSS 048, Micro 21

Summary Information

Records of the North Presbyterian Church, including lists of pastors; elders; an alphabetical list of communicants (members), 1872-1959; baptisms, 1908-1959; marriages, 1908-1959; deaths, 1909-1913; and suspensions, 1926-1934. This congregation was originally attached to the First Presbyterian Church on the South Side of La Crosse, and became its own church in 1870, incorporating as North La Crosse Presbyterian Church in 1878.
Collection Title
North Presbyterian Church (La Crosse, Wisconsin) Records
Date of Materials
North Presbyterian Church (La Crosse, Wis.).
Call Number
MSS 048, Micro 21
0.1 cubic feet
General Physical Description
1 reel of 35 mm microfilm
Language of Materials
La Crosse Public Library Archives

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], North Presbyterian Church (La Crosse, Wisconsin) Records, MSS 048, La Crosse Public Library Archives, La Crosse, WI

Return to Table of Contents »

Historical Note

In 1866, the First Presbyterian Church was established. The first North Side services of this church were held in the North La Crosse school house, located at Caledonia and St. James Streets on June 10, 1866. During 1867, this school house was purchased and relocated to 911 Rose Street where it was remodeled to accommodate church needs. A dedication ceremony was held on August 9, 1868.

Several members of the First Presbyterian Church who lived in North La Crosse petitioned the Chippewa Presbytery on April 29, 1870, requesting a separate church from the South Side congregation. The request was granted and approval made May 1, 1870. The name was changed to the North La Crosse Presbyterian Church of La Crosse in 1877 and incorporated in 1878.

This church building was sold to St. James Catholic Church early in the 1890s. In approximately 1894, construction of a new church building, located at Avon and Logan Streets, was started. During this time, services were held in Wannebo Hall on the southeast corner of Clinton and Caledonia Streets. Additions of brick siding and stone trim were completed in 1906. The congregation purchased a manse at 1552 Avon Street in 1913. Until this time, the pastors had resided in rented homes. This manse was sold in 1948, and a new one constructed next to the church at 1347 Avon Street. Over the next several years, the interior and exterior of the church were improved and the steeple removed.

The facilities became too small to accommodate the church's needs. Land connecting George Street, North Salem Road, and Loomis Street was purchased from the La Crosse Catholic Diocese. Groundbreaking took place on April 26, 1964, and the first service was held on November 26, 1964. The dedication for the educational facilities, fellowship hall, and church located at 1327 North Salem Road was held on February 28, 1965. In November of 1965, a new manse was completed at 2627 Loomis Street. The old church manse on Avon Street was sold to the Church of the Nazarene in 1965. Additions were made to the sanctuary of the new church, pastor's study, secretary's office and work room in November 1977.

Return to Table of Contents »


Except for the list of communicants (members), all of the sacramental records were written in chronological order. The list of members was written in alphabetical order. Other than the list of communicants which covers 1872-1959, the records date from 1908.

Return to Table of Contents »

Administrative Information

Publication Information

La Crosse Public Library Archives 1997 December

800 Main St.
La Crosse, Wisconsin, 54601
(608) 789-7136

Access to Materials

Materials in this collection are available for patron use.

Acquisitions Information

(Accession no. 1997.023)

Purchased by the Archives with gift funds from the Genealogical Society of Utah with permission of Ethel N. White, Clerk of Session, July 1997. Originals filmed in July 1981; GSU control number 1306450.

Processing Information

Finding aid written by Anita Taylor Doering, Dec. 1997.

Return to Table of Contents »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • North Presbyterian Church (La Crosse, Wis.).


  • Church records and registers--Wisconsin--La Crosse
  • Presbyterian Church--Wisconsin--La Crosse

Return to Table of Contents »

OCLC Number


Return to Table of Contents »

Collection Inventory

Reel Page


1 1


1 2

Communicants, 1872-1959 

1 18-153

Baptisms, 1908-1959 

1 136-175

Marriages, 1908-1959 

1 190-201

Deaths, 1909-1913 

1 209

Suspensions, 1926-1934 

1 221-223