This is a finding aid (or, description) of materials available in the La Crosse Public Library Archives.  At this time, none of the materials listed below are accessible over the internet.

Contact the Archives to learn more about using these materials.

Guide to the St. Paul's Lutheran Church (La Crosse, Wis.) Records, 1870-1920 (bulk 1878-1920) MSS 042, Micro 15

Guide to the St. Paul's Lutheran Church (La Crosse, Wis.) Records, 1870-1920 (bulk 1878-1920)

MSS 042, Micro 15

Summary Information

Abstract
Records of St. Paul's Lutheran Church, mainly 1878-1920, located on the North Side of La Crosse, Wisconsin. The congregation is still active and is affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The church records include baptisms, 1878-1924; confirmations, 1882-1920; marriages, 1881-1920; burials, 1888-1920; lists of members of the congregation; lists of members who have left the congregation; holy events, communion records, 1877-1920; and congregational minutes, ca. 1877-1880.

All records were written in the Norwegian language.
Collection Title
St. Paul's Lutheran Church (La Crosse, Wisconsin) Records
Date of Materials [bulk]
Bulk, 1878-1920
Date of Materials [inclusive]
1870-1920
Creator
St. Paul's Lutheran Church (La Crosse, Wis.).
Call Number
MSS 042, Micro 15
Amount
0.1 cubic feet
Physical Description
1 reel of 35 mm microfilm
Language of Materials
Norwegian
Repository
La Crosse Public Library Archives

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], St. Paul's Lutheran Church (La Crosse, Wisconsin) Records, MSS 042, La Crosse Public Library Archives, La Crosse, WI

Return to Table of Contents »


Historical Note

On November 16, 1870, the St. Paul's Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation was formed under guidance from Peder L. Asbjornsen, pastor of the Bostwick Valley congregation. The newly formed group counted 38 charter members and elected C. H. Walgeford as deacon; Simon Christoffersen and Gustaf Adolph Quarford as trustees. In April of the following year, a house of worship was purchased "somewhere on 8th Street" which was known as "Spiritual Hall." The building was later moved to a leased lot on North 11th Street between Pine and Badger Streets which was purchased in 1876. In 1882 a building was purchased from the Presbyterians near 6th and King Street for $3,500.

In October of 1871, the congregation called Pastor Asbjornsen to serve them. He ministered to the congregation until 1875 when Rev. Egil H. Midtbo was called to serve. By this time, the membership rolls counted 49 souls and Sunday School began. The congregation also became part of a parish with La Crosse, Bostwick Valley, Houston (Minnesota) and Looney Valley (Minnesota). Several pastors came and went between 1880 and 1894 when Rev. Rasmus Andersen preached his own installation sermon. Pastor Andersen died in 1914 and many changes occurred during his tenure. A new facility was constructed on the southwest corner of West Avenue and Division Street and services were first held there Christmas Day in 1896. The parish formed in 1880 was dissolved and St. Paul's and Eden congregation in Galesville formed a parish. This relationship was dissolved in 1918 and St. Paul's became an independent congregation holding worship services every Sunday. Rev. Andersen's successor, Pastor O. C. Myhre, began using the English language in the weekly services. In 1920, under the leadership of Rev. H. T. Braa, the congregation voted to have one service a month in Norwegian and all other services to be conducted in English. By 1940 Rev. Mars A. Dale used English exclusively in worship services. In 1942, the constitution was revised and the name was officially changed to St. Paul's Lutheran Church of La Crosse, Wisconsin. Again, many pastors had come and gone during this time.

In 1953, Rev. Arthur M. Feroe became pastor of St. Paul's serving 31 years--the longest of any senior pastor for the congregation. A new Parish House and Chapel were completed in 1956 and ground-breaking services for a new church building were held in 1960. The dedication took place in December 1961. The old building was razed and a parking lot constructed on that site. "Damascus Illumination," a two-piece sculpture by artist Paul T. Granlund, was placed in front of the church in 1966. By 1970, the congregation numbered 1,400 baptized members. After Rev. Feroe retired, Rev. Arnold J. Athey was installed as pastor in early 1985 and continues to minister to the congregation at this time. His wife Joyce has developed a Christian lifestyle curriculum for students age three through high school.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents

Records of St. Paul's Lutheran Church, mainly 1878-1920, located on the North Side of La Crosse, Wisconsin. The congregation is still active and is affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The church records include baptisms, 1878-1924; confirmations, 1882-1920; marriages, 1881-1920; burials, 1888-1920; lists of members of the congregation; lists of members who have left the congregation; holy events, communion records, 1877-1920; congregational minutes, ca. 1877-1880; and what appears to be records of a youth group ?, ca. 1877-1880.

All records were written in the Norwegian language.

Originally there were three churches on this reel of microfilm. For patron ease, these have spliced apart. The original volume that was microfilmed had pagination (page numbers), and these are included in the reel list below.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

La Crosse Public Library Archives 1997 December

800 Main St.
La Crosse, Wisconsin, 54601
(608) 789-7136
archives@lacrosselibrary.org

Access to Materials

Materials in this collection are available for patron use.

Acquisitions Information

(Accession No. 1997.023) Purchased by the Archives with gift funds from the Genealogical Society of Utah with permission of Rev. Duane Kamrath, Pastor, Oct. 1997. Originals filmed in July 1981; GSU control number 1306451.

Processing Information

Finding aid written by Anita Taylor Doering, Dec. 1997; translation by Amanda Lambert with help from Helen Brieske, March 1999.

Return to Table of Contents »


Related Materials

Related Materials

(MSS 019)
 St. Paul's Lutheran Church (La Crosse, Wisconsin) Records

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • St. Paul's Lutheran Church (La Crosse, Wis.).

Subject(s)

  • Church records and registers--Wisconsin--La Crosse
  • Lutheran Church--Wisconsin--La Crosse
  • Norwegian Americans--Religion

Return to Table of Contents »


OCLC Number

41575523

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Reel Item

Diamond Jubilee 1870-1945 booklet: Seventy-five Years With Christ (in English) 

1 2

St. Paul's Lutheran Church Centennial booklet, 1870-1970 (in English) 

1 2

Church register 

Reel Item Page

Congregational Minutes [ Menighed Medlemmer

1 2 3

Communion Records [ Nadvariester], 1877-1880 

1 2 87

Members of Congregation [ Foriegnelse over Menighedslemmer

1 2 101

Youth Records [ Barnedaabene

1 2 110

Communion Records [ Communicanter

1 2 118

Baptisms [ Dobte], 1881-1899 

1 3 1

Confirmations [ Konfirmerede], 1882-1898 

1 3 33

Marriages [ Agteviede], 1881-1899 

1 3 51

Burials [ Jordfastede], 1888-1899 

1 3 64

Communion Records [ Narvargiester], 1881-1898 

1 3 71

Members of Congregation [ Foriegnelse over Menighedslemmer

1 3 105

Members who left congregation [ Afgaade

1 3 135

Holy Events [ Oversigt over de Kirkelige Handlinger], 1893-1899 

1 3 143

Baptisms [ Dobte], 1899-1924 

1 4 1

Confirmations [ Konfirmerede], 1899-1920 

1 4 65

Marriages [ Agteviede], 1899-1920 

1 4 97

Burials [ Jordgastede] 1899-1920 

1 4 113

Communion Records [ Nadvargiester], 1899-1920 

1 4 129

Members of Congregation [ Foriegnelse over Menighedslemmer

1 4 153

Members who left congregation [ Afgaaede

1 4 183
Reel Item

Holy Events [ Oversigt over de Kirklige Handlinger], 1899-1920 

1 4