This is a finding aid (or, description) of materials available in the La Crosse Public Library Archives. At this time, none of the materials listed below are accessible over the internet.
Contact the Archives to learn more about using these materials.
Guide to the Mel Gilbertson Papers, 1912-1983
Table of Contents
- Milburn A. “Mel” Gilbertson (1923-1998) worked for the City of La Crosse, Wis., for 35 years, and he retired in 1983 as the supervisor the La Crosse City Water Department. This collection includes some personal papers and labor union materials from the Building and Service Employees International Union, Local 180, and the National Association of Power Engineers, La Crosse #8. The bulk of the collection is made up of papers from the La Crosse City Water Utility and contains correspondence, employee salary lists, and reports including a report on the electrification of the La Crosse Waterworks (1923). Photographs (1912-1961) show the construction of the main pumphouse (1912), the interior of pumphouse, and well flow at La Crosse well #2.
- Collection Title
- Mel Gilbertson Papers
- Date of Materials
- Gilbertson, Mel, (Milburn A.), 1923-1998
- Call Number
- MSS 098
- 0.4 cubic feet
- Physical Description
- 1 archives box
- Language of Materials
- La Crosse Public Library Archives
[Identification of item], Mel Gilbertson Papers, MSS 098, La Crosse Public Library Archives, La Crosse, WI
Milburn A. “Mel” Gilbertson was born on Jan. 4, 1923, in Sparta, Wis., to Mingel and Alma (Hagen) Gilbertson. He married Renada Hefti on April 27, 1946. Milburn worked for the City of La Crosse, Wis., for 35 years, and he retired in 1983 as the supervisor the La Crosse City Water Department. Gilbertson died in La Crosse on Dec. 29, 1998.
Scope and Contents
Items in this collection include personal papers of Milburn A. Gilbertson’s, labor union materials, and materials and photographs from the La Crosse City Water Utility. The bulk of the collection is made up of materials pertaining to the La Crosse City Water Utility.
Gilbertson’s personal papers include papers concerning the purchase of his home at 1216 CTH PH in Onalaska, a certificate [undated] from the State of Wisconsin stating that he qualified as a Waterworks Treatment Plant Operator, and papers regarding his retirement from the City of La Crosse.
Labor Union materials include an agreement between the City of La Crosse and the La Crosse City Employees, Local 180, Building and Service Employees International Union (1968-1970). Also included are two City Council resolutions for individuals not covered by city labor agreements.
Items from the National Association of Power Engineers (N.A.P.E.), La Crosse #8 include two notebooks (1934 and 1936), which record dues and expenses, some correspondence, and other miscellaneous papers. Some materials from the Ladies’ Auxiliary of N.A.P.E. are also included.
Materials from the La Crosse City Water Utility include an instruction manual for the Aquatrol Control Systems (1976) used at wells in the city, correspondence, employee salary lists, employee schedules, and miscellaneous materials. Photographs of La Crosse’s main pumphouse include a 1912 picture of the construction of the pumphouse, interior photographs of the pumps and machinery, and two photographs that show water flow from La Crosse well #2. Other materials include Chapter IV from the La Crosse Municipal Code pertaining to the La Crosse Water Utility Rates and Regulations [undated], and reports on the electrification of La Crosse Waterworks (1923) and pumping station reports (1976-1981).
La Crosse Public Library Archives 2005800 Main St.
La Crosse, Wisconsin, 54601
Access to Materials
Materials in this collection are available for patron use.
(Accession no. 2005.066) Donated by Willis Hefti via the La Crosse County Historical Society, June 2005
Processed by Christine Stolz, 2005
Controlled Access Headings
- Building Service Employees' International Union. Local 180 (La Crosse, Wis.).
- La Crosse (Wis.). Water Utility.
- National Association of Power Engineers (U.S.). No. 8 (La Crosse, Wis.).
- Gilbertson, Mel, (Milburn A.), 1923-1998
- Labor unions--Wisconsin--La Crosse
- Municipal services--Wisconsin--La Crosse
- Water utilities--Wisconsin--La Crosse
Personal papers, 1977-1983
Labor union materials
Building Service Employees' International Union, Local 180, 1968-1982
National Association of Power Engineers, La Crosse #8, 1934-1936
La Crosse City Water Utility
Aquatrol Control Systems, 1976
Employee salary lists, 1949-1971
Employee schedules, 1974, 1982
Rates and regulations, undated
Electrification of La Crosse Waterworks, 1923
Pumping stations, 1976-1981
Regulation of Trihalomethanes in Drinking Water, 1980