This is a finding aid (or, description) of materials available in the La Crosse Public Library Archives. At this time, none of the materials listed below are accessible over the internet.
Contact the Archives to learn more about using these materials.
Guide to the Joseph J. Addis Papers, 1975-1993
Table of Contents
- Papers of a former La Crosse City Council member Joseph Addis, 1975-1993. Arranged alphabetically by topic or committee, the collection contains a sampling of documents that city council dealt with mainly from 1984-1993, ranging from agreements to zoning, but should not be viewed as complete or as a record of decisions by the Council during this time. Although Addis served on the La Crosse (Wis.) City Council from 1969 to his death in 1992, the collection does not contain any biographical or personal materials or information.
- Collection Title
- Joseph J. Addis Papers
- Date of Materials
- Addis, Joseph J.
- Call Number
- MSS 051
- 0.4 cubic feet
- Physical Description
- 1 archives box
- Language of Materials
- La Crosse Public Library Archives
[Identification of item], Joseph J. Addis Papers, MSS 051, La Crosse Public Library Archives, La Crosse, WI
City Council member Joseph J. Addis was a letter carrier with the U.S. Post Office in La Crosse for 32 years, and represented the North Side district on the City Council from 1969 to his death in 1992. Addis served twice as president of the Council from 1979-1981, and served several terms as chair of the finance committee.
Addis was the descendant of South Lebanon immigrants Siad and Shaheenie Addis and was born in La Crosse on June 19, 1917. He and his wife Doreen raised seven children, including a son Phil Addis who ran for his father's seat in 1993. At his passing in La Crosse at age 75 on Dec. 19, 1992, Addis was best remembered for his endless support and advocacy of the North Side in City Council.
Scope and Contents
Papers of a former La Crosse City Council member Joseph Addis, 1975-1993. Arranged alphabetically by topic or committee, the collection contains a sampling of documents that city council dealt with mainly from 1984-1993, ranging from agreements to zoning, but should not be viewed as complete or as a record of decisions by the Council during this time. The collection does not contain any biographical or personal materials or information about Mr. Addis or his family.
La Crosse Public Library Archives 1999 February800 Main St.
La Crosse, Wisconsin, 54601
Access to Materials
Materials in this collection are available for patron use.
(Accession no. 1994.005)
Donated by Phil Addis, son of Joseph Addis, July 1994.
Processed by Jaime Dechant and Anita Taylor Doering, Feb. 1999.
Controlled Access Headings
- La Crosse (Wis.). Common Council.
- La Crosse (Wis.)--Politics and government
- City council members--Wisconsin--La Crosse
- Municipal government--Wisconsin--La Crosse
- Public records--Wisconsin--La Crosse
Barge fleeting/Docks/Harbors, 1986-1992
Bus service, 1992-1993
Housing/Community Block Grants, 1984-1993
Judiciary and Administration, 1975-1992
La Crosse Center, 1991-1992
Parks and Recreation, 1988-1992
Police Department, 1992