This is a finding aid (or, description) of materials available in the La Crosse Public Library Archives. At this time, none of the materials listed below are accessible over the internet.
Contact the Archives to learn more about using these materials.
Guide to the La Crosse, Wisconsin, Office of the City Assessor, Assessments for the City of La Crosse, 1861-1880
La Crosse Series 047
Table of Contents
- Property tax assessments arranged chronologically; therein by legal description. The volumes include an alphabetical section of personal property tax assessment since 1865. Exact years covered are 1861, 1863, 1865, 1867-1880. The assessments contain solely total amounts due and do not separate real estate from improvement assessments, nor do the personal property assessments break out the particulars of what was being taxed. The volumes for 1861 and 1863 do not appear to include all property additions, nor are the property owners necessarily listed.
- Collection Title
- La Crosse, Wisconsin, Office of the City Assessor, Assessments for the City of La Crosse
- Date of Materials
- La Crosse (Wis.). Office of the City Assessor.
- Call Number
- La Crosse Series 047
- 6.4 cubic feet
- Physical Description
- 8 flat boxes
- Language of Materials
- La Crosse Public Library Archives
[Identification of item], La Crosse, Wisconsin, Office of the City Assessor, Assessments for the City of La Crosse, La Crosse Series 047, La Crosse Public Library Archives, La Crosse, WI
Scope and Contents
The City of La Crosse, Wisconsin, was chartered in 1856. This series consists of 18 volumes of property tax assessments, we assume from the City Assessor’s Office, covering the years 1861, 1863, 1865, 1867-1880. There are two volumes for the year 1872. The spine labels read "Assessor’s Roll for ____ [year]."
In the volumes since 1865, there is an alphabetical list of personal property tax assessment due the City, but the amount due is not broken out into what kinds of things a resident was being taxed for. For example, the number of horses or dogs, etc., was oftentimes targeted for personal property taxes, but these assessment types are not recorded, just the amount due is noted. This is sometimes labeled as "Personal Tax."
There is a separate physical volume for each year. Within that volume the assessments are arranged by legal description. The legal description of the property includes the addition, lot and block. In addition to the legal descriptions, after 1865 the owner was also listed. The value of the property is always given.
La Crosse Public Library Archives 1997 May800 Main St.
La Crosse, Wisconsin, 54601
Access to Materials
Materials in this collection are available for patron use.
(Accession no. 1996.004) Assessment volumes were located in the City Clerk’s basement area of City Hall; came to the Archives as part of the Mayor’s Special Committee on Historic Records, Dec. 1996
Processed by Anita Taylor Doering, May 1997
- (La Crosse Series 048)
- La Crosse, Wisconsin, Office of the City Clerk, Tax Lists for the City of La Crosse
Controlled Access Headings
- Municipal government--Wisconsin--La Crosse
- Property tax--Wisconsin--La Crosse
- Public records--Wisconsin--La Crosse
- Real property tax--Wisconsin--La Crosse
- Taxation--Wisconsin--La Crosse