This is a finding aid (or, description) of materials available in the La Crosse Public Library Archives.  At this time, none of the materials listed below are accessible over the internet.

Contact the Archives to learn more about using these materials.

Guide to the La Crosse, Wisconsin, Committee on Highways, Resolutions and Reports Relating to Highways, 1930-1932 La Crosse Series 037

Guide to the La Crosse, Wisconsin, Committee on Highways, Resolutions and Reports Relating to Highways, 1930-1932

La Crosse Series 037

Summary Information

Abstract
Resolutions and reports from the Committee on Highways to the Common Council, 1930-1932 consist only of resolutions dealing with a second causeway connecting the North and South sides of La Crosse, over the La Crosse River and La Crosse River marsh. This is called Lang Drive and was a city/county joint project, connecting the north end of 12th Street with George Street on the North side. The documents are divided into general resolutions and those dealing with the bridge over the La Crosse River; therein arrangement is chronological.
Collection Title
La Crosse, Wisconsin, Committee on Highways, Resolutions and Reports Relating to Highways
Date of Materials
1930-1932
Creator
La Crosse (Wis.). Committee on Highways.
Call Number
La Crosse Series 037
Amount
0.2 cubic feet
Physical Description
1 archives box
Language of Materials
English
Repository
La Crosse Public Library Archives

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], La Crosse, Wisconsin, Committee on Highways, Resolutions and Reports Relating to Highways, La Crosse Series 037, La Crosse Public Library Archives, La Crosse, WI

Return to Table of Contents »


Historical Note

The “Second Causeway” refers to the north-south transportation corridor connecting the South side of La Crosse, originally an extension of 12th Street on the South side, to the southern edge of George Street, located on the North side of the city, ending at St. Andrew Street. Although years of effort were exuded on both on the part of the City and the County to construct this road, it did not become a reality until during the Depression in 1931.(1) Alderman C.F. Lang was credited with pushing through the project; hence the roadway was named for him. Traffic congestion on the original causeway (Mill St. or Copeland Ave. or North Third St.) by the increased workforce of the La Crosse Rubber Mills was a major factor.

Originally the Council wanted to build this causeway north from West Ave., but Franz Bartl’s Brewery was located there. Bartl wanted between $16,600 and $17,170 for a strip of land running right down the middle of the Bartl Brewing Co. complex, wiping out the barn, several sheds, a garage, a frame building, and coming within three to six feet of the Bartl home.(2) This would have divided the complex basically into a brick house on one side and the stone brewery building and its ice house on the other. The Council, rejecting Bartl’s offer, authorized condemnation proceedings to begin at that same meeting.

An independent appraisal reported to the City that the value wasonly $8,500, much less than Bartl’s offer. As a result of negotiations, Bartl’s offer was reduced to $15,900 by June 1930.(3) Since the City already owned the northern edge of 12th Street, the Council decided to connect the new causeway with 12th Street instead of West Ave.

Other problems occurred with crossing the right-of-way of the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad, but the roadway was eventually completed. In 1957, the approach was relocated to extend West Ave. past La Crosse Street and connect with Lang Drive.

----------

(1) Hoffman, E.H., “Construction of Lang Drive across Marsh, River Bridge Result of Long City-County Fight over Suitable Location,” La Crosse Tribune 16 May 1941. (2) 2nd Causeway, 9 May 1930, Resolutions & Reports, Committee on Highways, Common Council, City of La Crosse, La Crosse Series 37, La Crosse Public Library Archives. (3) 2nd Causeway, 30 June 1930, Resolutions & Reports, Committee on Highways, Common Council, City of La Crosse, La Crosse Series 37, La Crosse Public Library Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents

Resolutions and reports from the Committee on Highways to the Common Council, 1930-1932 consist solely of resolutions dealing with a second causeway or a second north-south transportation corridor connecting the North and South sides of La Crosse, over the La Crosse River and La Crosse River marsh. This is called Lang Drive and was a city-county joint project, connecting the north end of 12th Street with George Street on the North side. The documents are divided into general resolutions and those dealing with the bridge over the La Crosse River; therein arrangement is chronological.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

La Crosse Public Library Archives 1999 January

800 Main St.
La Crosse, Wisconsin, 54601
(608) 789-7136
archives@lacrosselibrary.org

Access to Materials

Materials in this collection are available for patron use.

Acquisitions Information

(Accession no. 1996.004) Resolutions were located in the City Clerk’s basement area of City Hall; came to the Archives as part of the Mayor’s Special Committee on Historic Records, Dec. 1996

Processing Information

Processed by Anita Taylor Doering with assistance from Jaime Dechant, January 1999

Return to Table of Contents »


Related Materials

Related Materials

(La Crosse Series 024)
 La Crosse, Wisconsin, Committee on Bridges, Resolutions and Reports Related to Bridges
(La Crosse Series 011)
 La Crosse, Wisconsin, Committee on Streets and Alleys, Resolutions and Reports Relating to Streets and Alleys

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • La Crosse (Wis.). Common Council.

Subject(s)

  • Municipal government--Wisconsin--La Crosse
  • Public records--Wisconsin--La Crosse
  • Streets--Wisconsin--La Crosse

Return to Table of Contents »


OCLC Number

42450747

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Box Folder

General, 1930-1932 

1 1

Bridge over La Crosse River, 1930-1932 

1 2