This is a finding aid (or, description) of materials available in the La Crosse Public Library Archives. At this time, none of the materials listed below are accessible over the internet.
Contact the Archives to learn more about using these materials.
Guide to the La Crosse County, Wisconsin, Board of Trustees Minutes, 1974-1990
La Crosse Series 012
Table of Contents
- Regular monthly meeting minutes (August 1975-December 1990) of the Board of Trustees who oversee operations of the county owned health care facilities, Oak Forest (closed in 1981), Hillview Health Center and Lakeview Health Care Center. The minutes also include a special 1976 budget review meeting, a 1977 special meeting regarding the landfill site at Lakeview Farm and a few voucher signing meetings. Another part of meeting minutes (September 1974-April 1989) are from the Lakeview Farm Committee. The Lakeview Farm is part of the Lakeview Health Care Center.
- Collection Title
- La Crosse County, Wisconsin, Board of Trustees Minutes
- Date of Materials
- La Crosse County (Wis.). Board of Trustees.
- Call Number
- La Crosse Series 012
- 0.6 cubic feet
- Physical Description
- 3 half-size boxes
- Language of Materials
- La Crosse Public Library Archives
[Identification of item], La Crosse County, Wisconsin, Board of Trustees Minutes, La Crosse Series 012, La Crosse Public Library Archives, La Crosse, WI
The La Crosse County Board of Trustees is set up to oversee the general operations of the county owned health care institutions. The board is made up of La Crosse County citizens, County Board members and institution administrators. The two institutions currently dealt with by the board are the Hillview Health Center and the Lakeview Health Care Center. A third institution, Oak Forest, was phased out in 1981.
Oak Forest was called Oak Forest Sanatorium when it was constructed in 1918. Its sole purpose was to treat tuberculosis patients up until the mid 1960's when Oak Forest became a nursing home as well. When the new addition to the Hillview Health Center was completed in 1981, Oak Forest was phased out of operation and razed the same year.
Hillview began in 1895 as the County Poor House. Later it became known simply as the County Home. In 1938 an infirmary was added on and in 1953 another infirmary was built adjacent to the older buildings. Sometime in the late 1950's or early 1960's the institution was named Hillview Home for the Aged. In 1968 the name was changed to just Hillview. A new addition was built in 1981 and the original structure was then razed.
The Lakeview Health Center had its beginnings when the La Crosse County Insane Asylum was constructed in 1887. Eventually it became known as the County Hospital. A 210 acre farm was part of the original institution and is still part of Lakeview, being a 550 acre farm at present. In 1968 the name was changed from County Hospital to Lakeview. In 1975 a major addition was built and the old section was razed in the fall of 1976.
The Lakeview Farm Committee is made up of members from the County Board of Trustees, the County Board of Supervisors, citizens of La Crosse County, and Lakeview Farm administrators. The job of the Committee is to oversee the operation of the farm that is part of the Lakeview Health Care Center. The farm has been owned by the county since 1886 when land was purchased for the construction of the La Crosse County Insane Asylum. The farm was originally 210 acres but was expanded to 582 acres when the county purchased the adjoining J.D. McDonald farm in 1938. Currently the farm is 550 acres in size and raises hogs and cash crops. The farm's dairy herd was phased out in 1987.
Scope and Contents
The La Crosse County Board of Trustees series is divided into two subseries: minutes of the board and minutes of the Lakeview Farm Committee. The board minutes are divided into special meeting minutes and regular meeting minutes. The special meeting minutes include a special 1976 budget review meeting, a La Crosse Soil and Water Conservation District Committee meeting from March 16, 1977 concerning the landfill site at Lakeview, a Trustee and Property Committee meeting from Sept. 10, 1975, Oak Forest voucher signing meetings from Sept. 9 and Dec. 9, 1975 and Hillview voucher signing meetings from Sept. 11, 1975, April 14, 1976, and Jan. 12, 1977.
The meeting minutes are from the regular monthly meetings of the Board of Trustees. The collection begins with the minutes from the August 1975 meeting and continues up through December 1990.
The Lakeview Farm Committee subseries is made up entirely of minutes from the Committee's meetings. These include the regular monthly meetings as well as some special committee meetings. The collection starts with the September 1974, meeting and continues through April 1989.
La Crosse Public Library Archives 1988 January800 Main St.
La Crosse, Wisconsin, 54601
Access to Materials
Materials in this collection are available for patron use.
(Accession no. 1985.008) Donated by Robert G. Machotka, Administrator of Lakeview Health Care Center, West Salem, Wisconsin, August 5, 1985; Archives received annual additions via mail until 1991.
Processed by Bill Petersen, January 1988.
Controlled Access Headings
- Hillview Health Center (La Crosse County, Wis.).
- Lakeview Health Care Center (West Salem, Wis.).
- Oak Forest (Health Care Center).
- County government--Wisconsin--La Crosse County
- Health facilities--Wisconsin--La Crosse County
- Nursing homes--Wisconsin--La Crosse County
- Public records--Wisconsin--La Crosse County
Special minutes, 1975-1977
Regular monthly minutes, 1975-1990
Lakeview Farm Committee minutes, 1974-1989