This is a finding aid (or, description) of materials available in the La Crosse Public Library Archives. At this time, none of the materials listed below are accessible over the internet.
Contact the Archives to learn more about using these materials.
Guide to the Robert and Twyla McFee Family Slides, 1960-1989 (bulk 1960-1965)
Table of Contents
- Robert “Bob” and Twyla McFee were residents of La Crosse, Wisconsin. Slides (1960-1989) of the Robert “Bob” M. McFee and Twyla G. (Henrickson) McFee (1925-1986) family include images of the Coulee Region in and around La Crosse, Wis. Included are aerial views; farm scenes; the La Crosse, Wis., area flood of 1965; miscellaneous images; the 1964 Oktoberfest Maple Leaf parade; unidentified people which may include images of the McFee family; and rural scenes. The art and buildings series contains images of the King Gambrinus statue outside City Brewery (formerly G. Heileman Brewery), the Hiawatha statute in Riverside Park, the WKBH/WKBT building, and the 3rd county courthouse shortly before it was torn down in 1965.
- Collection Title
- Robert and Twyla McFee Family Slides
- Date of Materials [bulk]
- Bulk, 1960-1965
- Date of Materials [inclusive]
- McFee family
- Call Number
- MSS 097
- 0.4 cubic feet
- Physical Description
- 1 archives box
- Language of Materials
- La Crosse Public Library Archives
[Identification of item], Robert and Twyla McFee Family Slides, MSS 097, La Crosse Public Library Archives, La Crosse, WI
Robert “Bob” M. McFee and Twyla G.(Henrickson) McFee (1925-1986) were La Crosse, Wis., residents. They were married on Aug. 24, 1946, in Des Moines, Iowa. Twyla taught school for 37 years, and worked at Mound Ridge School near Genoa, Wis., and Harry Spence Elementary in La Crosse, Wis. Robert McFee worked as a mechanic at Dairyland Power Cooperative.
Scope and Contents
The slides taken by the McFee family show a variety of scenes from the Coulee Region (La Crosse, Wis. area) and are separated into the following series: aerial views, art and buildings, farm scenes, the flood of 1965, miscellaneous, the Oktoberfest Maple Leaf parade, unidentified people, and rural scenes.
The art and buildings folder includes a slide of the King Gambrinus statute near what was then the Heileman Brewery (now City Brewery) (no date on the slide, presumed to be ca. 1964) and a slide of the Hiawatha statute in Riverside Park (1966). Also shown are the WKBH/WKBT building (1965) and the 3rd county courthouse (1965) shortly before it was torn down.
The farm scenes show some farm equipment on a Coulee Region farm and unidentified individuals.
Slides are included pertaining to the 1965 flood in the La Crosse, Wis., area which show some sandbagged areas and other views near the Mississippi River.
Miscellaneous slides include images of a ski jump, a flower garden, a street scene, and a locomotive.
Oktoberfest slides feature images from the 1964 Mapleleaf parade.
Slides of unidentified people (1960-1989) presumably include images of the McFee family. Included are images from a christening, a wedding, a Nels and Evelyn Henrickson cemetery marker, and a variety of domestic scenes.
Coulee Region rural scene slides feature images of the area bluffs and roadways.
La Crosse Public Library Archives 2005800 Main St.
La Crosse, Wisconsin, 54601
Access to Materials
Materials in this collection are available for patron use.
(Accession no. 2005.107) Donated by the McFee family estate via Jean Rady, 2005
Processed by Anita Taylor Doering, 2005
Controlled Access Headings
- La Crosse (Wis.)--History--Slides
Aerial views, 1978
Art and buildings, 1965-1966
Farm scenes, circa 1964
Oktoberfest Maple Leaf parade, 1964
Rural scenes, 1961-1964