This is a finding aid (or, description) of materials available in the La Crosse Public Library Archives. At this time, none of the materials listed below are accessible over the internet.
Contact the Archives to learn more about using these materials.
Guide to the Eastbank Artists, Inc. Records, 1976-2001
Table of Contents
- Eastbank Artists, Inc., was formed in 1976 by three La Crosse, Wisconsin, area artists who wanted more visibility and marketing of their artistic wares than they could accomplish independently. Until 1999, the organization hosted exhibits at the Pump House, the home of the Western Wisconsin Regional Arts agency. Records include by-laws, 1987 and 1997; a directory of member artists with some biographical content, 1976-1985; a guest book of visitors to the exhibits, 1977-circa 1981; historical scrapbooks of the organization, 1976-2001; a collection of posters and newspaper clippings, 1976-1988; and finally meeting minutes, 1978-1999 (which also include some financial records). The collection also includes some 35mm slides of artists' work and exhibits.
- Collection Title
- Eastbank Artists, Inc. Records
- Date of Materials
- Eastbank Artists, Inc..
- Call Number
- MSS 053
- 1.8 cubic feet
- Physical Description
- 2 archives boxes, 1 large flat box
- Language of Materials
- La Crosse Public Library Archives
[Identification of item], Eastbank Artists, Inc. Records, MSS 053, La Crosse Public Library Archives, La Crosse, WI
Eastbank Artists, Inc., was formed in 1976 by three La Crosse, Wisconsin, area artists, Pat Swartz, Janet Larson and Sonja Adams, who wanted more visibility and marketing of their artistic products. The threesome were non-traditional students in the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse art program. The idea was to form an organization similar to an art co-op, and over 40 serious area artists attended the informational meeting.
In 1977, the Eastbank Artists was incorporated and stated their purpose "to promote, encourage, increase the public's knowledge and appreciation for the arts; to coordinate and provide services to the arts to foster their growth and practice; and to carry out all other purposes necessary or incident to the above..." The group worked closely with Audrey Kader and the Western Wisconsin Regional Arts program and were the first to exhibit in WWRA's new home, the Pump House in Dec. 1978. Until that time, the Pump House was used by the city of La Crosse to house its city vehicles. Eastbank Artists helped the fledgling WWRA operation by manning the Pump House on weekends from 1981 to March 1984.
Christmas Shows are popular and were held initially in members' and patrons' homes. The peak gross sales was $7,073 in 1981. Shows were also held at the UW-L gallery as juried events. The organization hosted exhibits at the Pump House until 1999, when WWRA executives decided to pursue different goals and wanted to take over more of the exhibit space a the Pump House. Eastbank Artists, Inc., is still active today and continues to promote and show the work of La Crosse area artists.
Scope and Contents
Records of the Eastbank Artists, Inc., including by-laws 1987 and 1997; a directory of member artists, 1976-1985, which contains biographical materials about some of the artists and photographs and/or 35 mm slides of their work; one guest book of visitors to the exhibits, 1977-ca. 1981. Historical scrapbooks of the organization, 1976-2001, highlighting public shows the group promoted and organized, including a written history of the organization as well as photocopied articles of incorporation. A collection of posters and newspaper clippings, 1976-1988, and meeting minutes, 1978-1999, are included and some contain financial records as well. The collection also includes some 35mm slides of artists' work and exhibits.
La Crosse Public Library Archives 1999 June-2002 May800 Main St.
La Crosse, Wisconsin, 54601
Access to Materials
Materials in this collection are available for patron use.
(Accession nos. 1999.013, 1999.035, 2002.005) Donated by Arlene Zei on behalf of the Eastbank Artists, Inc., May 1999, Dec. 1999 and Feb. 2002.
Processed by Anita Taylor Doering, June 1999; Margaret Donndelinger, April-May 2002.
Controlled Access Headings
- Eastbank Artists, Inc..
- Slides (photographs)
- Art--Wisconsin--La Crosse
- Artists--Wisconsin--La Crosse
Directory of members, 1976-1985
Guest book, 1977-1981
Meeting minutes, 1978-1999
Posters and newspaper clippings, 1976-1988